Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometrization analogy

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    Can anyone give other examples where the geometry is the classical limit of another theory? I can give one. For example. The body curves of a woman is geometric.. so the geometry is the result of the bones and internal structure of the physical body. Likewise, in General Relativity, could the geometric part also comes from some other dynamics? Can you give other systems where such occurs that geometry is just a large scale description of an underlying phenomenon?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Equilibrium thermodynamics (and its geometrical structure) could be seen as a limiting case of statistical mechanics.

Continuum mechanics (and its geometrical structure) could be seen as a limiting case of a many-particle atomic theory

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Yes, this is the content of both string theory and loop quantum gravity.

5. Jun 24, 2015 #4
    Years ago I was asking in the google newsgroup why is the geometry curving in GR. The physicists mostly give me Bohr Line's about "It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature is. Physics concerns what we can say about nature." Therefore it seems not a frame of mind to ask if the geometry is caused by other dynamics.. But yesterday I learnt from the above previous message that String Theory and Loop QG content is precisely this exploration that the geometry may come from other dynamics. Is this not disobeying or violating Bohr statement? Can't we just say, the geometry curves and it is gravity. End of story? Remember in quantum mechanics.. physics don't ask why there is randomness... but in GR.. why is it right to ask what's or what it's curving?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook