Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometry and Discrete- AIRPLANE question help XD

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    The wind is blowing N 75 degrees East at 96 km/h. A plane is flying with air speed 320 km/h. Find the heading the plane must have in order to get from A to B, if B is S40 degrees W of A. Include a diagram in your solution.

Alright, i am totally lost.
    Could someone please maybe put on some tips or who may know what to do in finding the heading of the plane?
    If you could also add a diagram it would be great because this is probably a test question for Geometry. XD

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  4. Oct 8, 2005 #3

Fermat

Homework Helper

I get the same diagram, and angles the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    alright thanks, the A to B part confused me, because i didnt know which part would be A and B lol..

6. Oct 8, 2005 #5
    bah i am actually now confused in why the 320 km/h or planes speed is the resultant vector. Wouldnt 320 km/h be the S 40 DEGREE W vector in the third quadrant?

is there anyone else who would think there would be an alternative way ? XD

my first approach would to think to use the parallelogram theory.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  7. Oct 9, 2005 #6

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

If 320 km/h was the S 40 degree W vector, the wind would blow the airplane off-target. That is why the airplane must "overaim". I'm not sure what is meant by parallelogram theory, but you should divide the vectors into x and y components.

8. Oct 9, 2005 #7
    yes, so if i divided it into x and y components, i would be using cartesian vectors right? instead of geometric vectors

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook