Geometry and Discrete- AIRPLANE question help XD

In summary, to find the heading the plane must have from point A to point B, with B being S40 degrees W of A, you must use cartesian vectors to divide the wind's velocity (96 km/h at N 75 degrees E) and the plane's airspeed (320 km/h) into x and y components. This will allow you to determine the heading the plane must have in order to counteract the wind and reach point B accurately. Using the parallelogram theory, you can visualize the vectors and see why the plane must overaim in order to compensate for the wind and reach its destination.
byronsakic
The wind is blowing N 75 degrees East at 96 km/h. A plane is flying with air speed 320 km/h. Find the heading the plane must have in order to get from A to B, if B is S40 degrees W of A. Include a diagram in your solution.

Alright, i am totally lost.
Could someone please maybe put on some tips or who may know what to do in finding the heading of the plane?
If you could also add a diagram it would be great because this is probably a test question for Geometry. XD

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
I get the same diagram, and angles the same.

Attachments

• byron.gif
    byron.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
alright thanks, the A to B part confused me, because i didnt know which part would be A and B lol..

bah i am actually now confused in why the 320 km/h or planes speed is the resultant vector. Wouldnt 320 km/h be the S 40 DEGREE W vector in the third quadrant?

is there anyone else who would think there would be an alternative way ? XD

my first approach would to think to use the parallelogram theory.

Last edited:
If 320 km/h was the S 40 degree W vector, the wind would blow the airplane off-target. That is why the airplane must "overaim". I'm not sure what is meant by parallelogram theory, but you should divide the vectors into x and y components.

yes, so if i divided it into x and y components, i would be using cartesian vectors right? instead of geometric vectors

1. What is the difference between geometry and discrete mathematics?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of points, lines, shapes, and solids in space. Discrete mathematics, on the other hand, deals with discrete objects and their relationships, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements.

2. How is geometry used in the design and construction of airplanes?

Geometry plays a crucial role in the design and construction of airplanes. It is used to determine the shape and dimensions of the various components of the airplane, such as the wings, fuselage, and tail. It also helps in calculating the aerodynamic properties of the airplane, such as lift and drag, which are essential for its flight.

3. What is the significance of discrete mathematics in the field of computer science?

Discrete mathematics is the foundation of computer science as it provides the tools and techniques to analyze and solve problems in algorithms, data structures, and logic. It is used to design efficient computer programs and to analyze their complexity and correctness.

4. How does discrete mathematics help in solving problems related to networks and communication systems?

Discrete mathematics is used to model and analyze networks and communication systems. It helps in understanding the flow of data and information in a network, identifying potential bottlenecks, and optimizing the network's performance. Discrete mathematics also plays a crucial role in error-correcting codes, which are essential for reliable communication.

5. Can geometry and discrete mathematics be applied in other fields besides mathematics and computer science?

Yes, geometry and discrete mathematics have applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. In physics, they are used to model and understand the behavior of physical systems. In engineering, they play a vital role in designing and analyzing structures and systems. In economics, they are used to model and analyze decision-making processes. In biology, they are used to study molecular structures and genetic patterns.