1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry and Discrete- AIRPLANE question help XD

1. Oct 8, 2005 #1
    The wind is blowing N 75 degrees East at 96 km/h. A plane is flying with air speed 320 km/h. Find the heading the plane must have in order to get from A to B, if B is S40 degrees W of A. Include a diagram in your solution.

Alright, i am totally lost.
    Could someone please maybe put on some tips or who may know what to do in finding the heading of the plane?
    If you could also add a diagram it would be great because this is probably a test question for Geometry. XD

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  4. Oct 8, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

I get the same diagram, and angles the same.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  5. Oct 8, 2005 #4
    alright thanks, the A to B part confused me, because i didnt know which part would be A and B lol..
  6. Oct 8, 2005 #5
    bah i am actually now confused in why the 320 km/h or planes speed is the resultant vector. Wouldnt 320 km/h be the S 40 DEGREE W vector in the third quadrant?

is there anyone else who would think there would be an alternative way ? XD

my first approach would to think to use the parallelogram theory.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
  7. Oct 9, 2005 #6

Homework Helper

If 320 km/h was the S 40 degree W vector, the wind would blow the airplane off-target. That is why the airplane must "overaim". I'm not sure what is meant by parallelogram theory, but you should divide the vectors into x and y components.
  8. Oct 9, 2005 #7
    yes, so if i divided it into x and y components, i would be using cartesian vectors right? instead of geometric vectors
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?