How to Correct Angle Measurement Errors in Geometry Problems

In summary, to correct what you did wrong in finding the value of m<Q as 60 and x as 40, you need to use the concepts of opposite interior angles, the sum of angles in a triangle, and isosceles triangles to determine the missing angles in the given diagrams. By understanding these concepts, you can correctly find m<Q to be 60 and x to be 40.
Ebene
I'm doing test corrections for homework and we have to explain how to correct what we did wrong. I already have the answers I just need to know how to figure out the answer.

18. Find m<Q. The diagram is not to scale.
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3986/helpbp3.jpg

24. Find the value of x. The diagram is not to scale.
Given: <SRT is congruent to <STR, m<SRT=20, m<STU=4x
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/584/helpep9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the point is that you need to figure out how to do this. We'll give hints but you need to tells us what you understand about this problem. In the first one, think "Opposite Interior Angles" with parallel lines and "the sum of the angles in a triangle is _____". For the second one, what do you know about isosceles triangles?

18. m<Q = 60. Look at the 50 degrees. The angle opposite of that is also 50 degrees, because they are vertical angles. Then, because the two lines are parallel and are cut by a transversal, the alternate interior angles are congruent. So the angle below R is 50 degrees. 70+50 = 120, 180-120 = 60. Since they are vertical angles, then m<Q = 60.24. [tex] x = 40 [/tex]. If [tex] m<SRT = 20 [/tex], then [tex] m<STR = 20 [/tex]. So [tex] 180-20 = 160 = 4x [/tex], [tex] x = 40 [/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
Well, the point is that you need to figure out how to do this. We'll give hints but you need to tells us what you understand about this problem. In the first one, think "Opposite Interior Angles" with parallel lines and "the sum of the angles in a triangle is _____". For the second one, what do you know about isosceles triangles?
Yeah, I did all of the ones I could and I spent about 30 minutes trying to figure these two out and couldn't. Thanks

courtrigrad said:
18. m<Q = 60. Look at the 50 degrees. The angle opposite of that is also 50 degrees, because they are vertical angles. Then, because the two lines are parallel and are cut by a transversal, the alternate interior angles are congruent. So the angle below R is 50 degrees. 70+50 = 120, 180-120 = 60. Since they are vertical angles, then m<Q = 60.

24. [tex] x = 40 [/tex]. If [tex] m<SRT = 20 [/tex], then [tex] m<STR = 20 [/tex]. So [tex] 180-20 = 160 = 4x [/tex], [tex] x = 40 [/tex]
Thanks so much, this helped a lot!

1. What is an angle measurement?

An angle measurement is a unit of measurement used to determine the amount of rotation between two lines or planes. It is typically measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad).

2. How do you measure angles?

Angles can be measured using a protractor, which is a tool with a semicircular shape and markings for degrees. The protractor is placed on the angle, and the measurement is read from the scale.

3. What is the difference between acute, obtuse, and right angles?

An acute angle is less than 90°, an obtuse angle is greater than 90°, and a right angle is exactly 90°. Acute and obtuse angles are considered non-right angles.

4. How do you classify angles?

Angles can be classified based on their size and shape. They can be acute, obtuse, or right; they can be complementary (add up to 90°), supplementary (add up to 180°), or vertical (opposite angles formed by intersecting lines).

5. Why is it important to understand angle measurements?

Understanding angle measurements is important in various fields, such as mathematics, engineering, and architecture. It allows us to accurately describe and measure shapes and objects in the real world, and it is also used in problem-solving and calculations.