1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Angles Problem

1. Aug 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ABC is a triangle. The bisector of the exterior angle at B and the bisector of ∠C intersect each other at D. Then prove that ∠D=90°-(∠A/2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess I want to prove an untrue thing because by drawing a diagram and working out I get ∠D=∠A/2. I think I have drawn it wrong by mis-understanding the question. Or the question is an error? Or did I work out wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2014 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I get the same result you did and I also oriented the corners of the triangle such that ABC is labelled clockwise instead (C at the top, A at the left), so the intersection point is underneath the triangle and the answer is still the same.

4. Aug 6, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can do a quick reality check by drawing an arbitrary triangle and constructing the bisectors and measuring the angles. Try it for several triangles.

5. Aug 6, 2014 #4
    It seems a difficult work. Are there any thing to do with Theoretical geometry.

6. Aug 6, 2014 #5
    Even I tried what Simon said with a simulator called GEOGEBRA. I get the same result.

7. Aug 6, 2014 #6

olivermsun

Science Advisor

I get the same result as you using a + b + c = 180° = (180 - b)/2 + b + a + c/2.

8. Aug 6, 2014 #7
    I guess there must be a printing error in the question like may be the angles changed or like that

9. Aug 7, 2014 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

10. Aug 7, 2014 #9
    Yes I know just lazy to do that because when I miss 1° accuracy, I may get very strange results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted