1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry/Area Problem

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rectangle is bounded by the x-axis and the semicircle y=√(36-x^2) (see figure). Write the area A of the rectangle as a function of x.

I will try to explain the figure as best as possible. The figure is basically a semicircle on the Cartesian plane with a domain of [-6,6]. There is a point on the semicircle of (X,Y) where y is the height of the rectangle and x is the maximum width of the rectangle. The value of x is around five on the graph, while the value for y is around 3.5 on the graph (note: they are just estimates to help visualize the figure better).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I substitute the (x,y) for (w,h). I then realized that the height stays constant, therefore I can write the height as √(36-w^2), where w is a constant. Now, I do not know how to write the width because the x has a limited domain.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2
    Couldn't you use a definite integral to evaluate this?
  4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    Not really. The question is found in a precalculus textbook.
  5. Dec 20, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The rectangle with a corner at (x,y) on your circle in the first quadrant has a base of length 2x and its height is y = sqrt(36-x2). Multiply those together and you will have the area as a function of x. Apparently you are not asking for the dimensions of such a rectangle with largest area, just the expression for A as a function of x.
  6. Dec 20, 2009 #5
    Thanks LCKurtz
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook