Geometry as Art and Vice versa

In summary, The conversation discussed M.C. Escher's work and the link to a paper on the geometry of his art. The participants expressed their admiration for Escher's impossible buildings and shared their own versions of impossible stairs. They also recommended a website for inspiration on the art form of tessellations.
Science news on Phys.org
Very cool! Math is art in so many ways! Fractals of course are a fan favorite!

image10.jpg

Likes 1oldman2
It must be impossible not to like M.C. Escher. I like his impossible buildings. Here is my own impossible stairs.

stairs01.jpg

Likes wormbread, 1oldman2 and Greg Bernhardt
Helios said:
It must be impossible not to like M.C. Escher. I like his impossible buildings. Here is my own impossible stairs.

View attachment 206714
Great perspective !
After checking out this link from the paper I mentioned, http://www.tessellations.org/tess-what.shtml I have to recommend the site. :thumbup:Plenty of inspiration for anyone who's interested in this art form.

What is "Geometry as Art and Vice Versa"?

"Geometry as Art and Vice Versa" is the concept that geometry, which is the study of shapes and their properties, can be used to create and appreciate art. It explores the relationship between mathematics and aesthetics, showing how geometric principles can be applied in art and how art can inspire new geometric concepts.

How has geometry been used in art throughout history?

Geometry has been used in art throughout history in various ways. In ancient civilizations, geometry was used to create symmetrical and geometrically precise buildings and structures. During the Renaissance period, artists such as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo used geometric principles in their paintings and sculptures. In modern art, movements such as Cubism and Op Art heavily relied on geometric shapes and patterns.

Can anyone appreciate and create art using geometry?

Yes, anyone can appreciate and create art using geometry. While some people may have a natural inclination towards math and geometry, others can learn and develop their skills through practice and experimentation. Whether it's through traditional mediums such as drawing and painting, or digital art and design, there are endless possibilities for incorporating geometry into art.

How does geometry enhance the aesthetic appeal of art?

Geometry enhances the aesthetic appeal of art by providing structure, balance, and visual interest. The use of geometric shapes and patterns can create a sense of order and harmony in a piece, while also adding a dynamic and eye-catching element. Additionally, the precision and symmetry of geometric art can be visually appealing and evoke a sense of perfection and beauty.

What are some examples of famous artworks that incorporate geometry?

Some examples of famous artworks that incorporate geometry include Leonardo da Vinci's "Vitruvian Man" which uses geometric proportions to depict the ideal human form, Piet Mondrian's "Composition II in Red, Blue, and Yellow" which utilizes simple geometric shapes and primary colors, and M.C. Escher's "Relativity" which plays with perspective and geometric illusions. Other notable artists who have incorporated geometry into their work include Wassily Kandinsky, Bridget Riley, and Frank Stella.