Gaining Geometry Knowledge: A Guide to Books for the New Learner

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding geometry and the search for easier, more basic books to learn from. The recommendation is to look for a used Geometry textbook by author Jurgennson or to check a textbook catalog for a modern book. The conversation also mentions the possibility of skipping a college course and studying on one's own. It is noted that Geometry is not typically taught at the college level, but there are some resources available like the books "Geometry for the Classroom" by Clemens and Clemens and "Geometry: Euclid and Beyond" by Hartshorne. It is mentioned that Hartshorne's book is closely linked with "The Elements" and can be helpful in understanding it. The conversation ends by mentioning that
Molok
So I decided to buy the book The Elements because i couldn't pass the offer up(for $10, can you believe that?) and there is a few things in there that I can't understand, so could anyone recommend some easier more basic geometry books that I could learn from to give me the basis for what i need to know to understand this geometry.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
any high school textbook on plane geometry should be sufficient. the funny thing is i would love to take a class in it in college but it doesn't seem like something taught at the college level.

Molok said:
So I decided to buy the book The Elements because i couldn't pass the offer up(for $10, can you believe that?) and there is a few things in there that I can't understand, so could anyone recommend some easier more basic geometry books that I could learn from to give me the basis for what i need to know to understand this geometry.
You can find a used Geometry textbook at some used book sales and community used book sources, although finding used Geometry books that way is sometimes not easy. A good author name to look for is Jurgennson. You could also look in a textbook catalog for a modern book.

You probably can skip attending a college course,but just study from the book on your own. Geometry as the college preparatory one taught in high schools is often taught in community colleges as a remedial course - the same as what is taught in a high school, but at a faster pace. Expect this course to NOT be taught in a regular undergraduate college.

Thanks I'll look into that.

i am using two books in my college level euclidean geometry course, one is very elementary, geometry for the classroom, by clemens and clemens, and more advanced is geometry: euclid and beyiond, by hartshorne, for his college level geometry course at uc berkeley. hartshoirne is closely linked with the elements, and helps wonderfully in understanding that great work.

euclidean geometry is not as easy as one might think, indeed there are possible phd level problems in the subject.

1. What are the best books for beginners to learn geometry?

The best books for beginners to learn geometry will vary depending on the individual's learning style and level of understanding. However, some popular options include "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe, "Geometry: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Steve Slavin, and "Euclid's Elements" translated by Sir Thomas Heath.

2. Are there any online resources that can supplement book learning for geometry?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement book learning for geometry. Websites like Khan Academy, MathisFun, and MathHelp offer interactive lessons, practice problems, and videos to help reinforce concepts learned from books.

3. How much time should I dedicate to studying geometry in order to see progress?

The amount of time needed to see progress in geometry will vary for each individual. However, it is recommended to dedicate at least 1-2 hours per week to studying and practicing geometry concepts in order to see steady improvement.

4. Are there any recommended study techniques for learning geometry?

Some recommended study techniques for learning geometry include creating flashcards to memorize key terms and formulas, practicing with real-life examples and applications, and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in math to learn geometry?

No, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge in math to learn geometry. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and arithmetic can help in understanding some concepts and equations in geometry.