1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry: Equilateral Tri. and Circumcirles

1. Nov 20, 2003 #1
    Hello,

First I will post my question.

What is confusing me is the part

If ABC is an equilateral triangle, why would the arc BC be smaller than the arcs AB or AC? I would think that all the arcs would be equal. What the hey? What am I missing here?

Any help is appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Two points (B & C) on a circle delimit two arcs, not three (you are splitting the longer arc). In this case, the short one is B-P-C; the long one goes B-A-C.

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3
    Hello Doc Al,

I am not sure what you are saying.

If I was to construct an equilateral triangle, then construct each side's perpendicular bisector, then construct the circumcircle, I would had an equalateral triangle inside the circumcircle.

In this case, all vertices of the triangle ABC would be points on the circumcircle. Arc AB = BC = CA since the triangle is equilateral.

Now there would be two paths of "travel" from B to C, one of which would pass through point A. That is, one path would go directly to C (the smaller arc) and the other path would go from B to A then to C (the larger arc).

Is this what you mean by BC delimiting two arcs; one small and one large?

5. Nov 20, 2003 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Forget the triangle. Two points on a circle divide it into two arcs. Unless the two points are 180 degrees apart, one of the arcs is smaller than the other. THAT'S the one they are talking about.

I will confess I was taken aback by that myself. Normally when you say "the arc BC", the smaller of the two arcs is what is meant. I suspect this was a case of confusing by trying to be too precise.

The "smaller arc" in this case is precisely what you think of as "the arc BC".

6. Nov 20, 2003 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You got it. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. (The wording took me a minute to figure out at first too.)

7. Nov 20, 2003 #6
    Great. Thanks Doc Al, HallsofIvy.

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?