Geometry has no substance

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
wolram
Gold Member
I could understand ST being modeled as some computer program where bodies follow
some imputed mathematical formula, but how does ST as geometry force physical bodies to follow some path?

Answers and Replies

Well, string theory describes gravity in the IR, so presumably the answer is the same as in GR.

I could understand ST being modeled as some computer program where bodies follow
some imputed mathematical formula, but how does ST as geometry force physical bodies to follow some path?
At least in this address by Einstein in 1920, he was convinced that geometry existed because of substance:
Recapitulating, we may say that according to the General Theory of Relativity space is endowed with physical qualities; in this sense, therefore, there exists an Aether. According to the General Theory of Relativity space without Aether is unthinkable; for in such space there not only would be no propagation of light, but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time (measuring-rods and clocks), nor therefore any space-time intervals in the physical sense. But this Aether may not be thought of as endowed with the quality characteristic of ponderable media, as consisting of parts which may be tracked through time. The idea of motion may not be applied to it.
I wonder if this may be revisited or if it has been discarded for good in modern physics.

wolram---

I was confused... Do you mean ST (string theory?) or SR (special relativity) ?

wolram
Gold Member
At least in this address by Einstein in 1920, he was convinced that geometry existed because of substance:

I wonder if this may be revisited or if it has been discarded for good in modern physics.

This is what i meant but was unable to verbalise with so much eloquence, Einstein has
once again eclipsed what i imagined was an original thought.