Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometry HELP PLEASE!

1. Jul 21, 2011 #1
    Geometry HELP!!!! PLEASE!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A tree is leaning 14 degrees from the vertical. The tree casts a 40 foot shadow on the flat ground. The line from the trees shadow to the top of tree creates a 60 degree angle above the horizontal. I need to find the lenght of the tree.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried everything, i know of but im stuck. I tried using trig but that only gave the lenghts for the outside of the right triangle the tree divides. I need help desperately!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    Re: Geometry HELP!!!! PLEASE!

The question seems to be missing....you might also want to draw a diagram.

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3

Ok , Im sorry I didnt realize , that i was the only one with the picture in front of me :) Here you go.

5. Jul 21, 2011 #4

Do you know the sine rule?

6. Jul 21, 2011 #5

No, can you explain to to me?

7. Jul 21, 2011 #6
  8. Jul 21, 2011 #7

So to use the sine rule i dont need a right triangle?

9. Jul 21, 2011 #8

No, it can be applied to any triangle.

10. Jul 21, 2011 #9

Im sorry that above question is rather stupid. However based on that explanation from the link, I dont understand this part :

That gives c=2sin(105o)/sin(30o)
    which is 4sin(105o).

We can write sin(105o) as sin(150o-45o) then use the sin(A-B) rule to write this as
    sin(150o)cos(45o)-cos(150o)sin(45o)
    Im confused as to why we can write the above statement. Does it change the answer?

11. Jul 21, 2011 #10

The two answers you get are equivalent, since you applied the identity to sin(105)

4sin(105o)=4( sin(150o)cos(45o)-cos(150o)sin(45o) )

12. Jul 21, 2011 #11

Ok Great! then according to my calculations the lenght of the tree is 49.8677 ft

13. Jul 29, 2011 #12

PeterO

Homework Helper

If when you drew your diagram, you made the 60 degree angle something like 60 degrees, rather than only 30 - 35 degrees, you would get some feedback from the diagram. [Notice that the angle you have marked as 44 appears BIGGER than the angle you have marked 60; it is even bigger than the angle you have marked 136]

Since the shadow is 40' long, if your calculation is correct the "tree" should appear longer. [in a perfect scale diagram, the tree would be close to 125% the length of the shadow]

If you are going to draw a diagram, at least make it close to the real thing - just so you get a pictorial indication that your calculation is correct.

Peter

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook