1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry help

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1

Hi there,
    I am have trouble with a proof. I have some steps done, but I am not sure if I am aproaching this correctly.
    the question is:

Show that the matrix of any reflection in R^n is a symmetric matrix.

I know that F(x) = Ax + b is an isometry
    where A is an Orthoganol matrix , and vector b is in R^n
    this implies that A^t A = I (identity matrix) iff A^-1 = A^t

and if f is a reflection then f(f(x)) = x
    then f(f(x)) = A(Ax + b) + b = x
    i need to somehow prove that A = A^t which then means the matrix is symmetric

thank you for you time and help
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not every reflection in Rn can be represented by a matrix. Now, do you mean that (1) every reflection in an n-1 dimensional hyperplane passing through the origin in Rn is a symmetric matrix, or do you mean (2) the matrix part of every reflection in Rn is symmetric? If f is a reflection in an n-1 dimensional hyperplane L, then f(x) = Ax + b, where A is the matrix corresponding to a reflection in the n-1 dimensional hyperplane passing through the origin, parallel to the hyperplane L, and if d is the shortest vector from 0 to L, then b = 2d. You know that A is orthogonal, so you know that A-1 = AT. It remains to show that A-1 = A. But this is true since:

A(Ax + b) + b = x
    A²x + Ab + b = x
    (A² - I)x = -(Ab + b)

Now you could use the fact that Ab = -b, so the right side is:

-(Ab + b) = -(-b + b) = -0 = 0

for all x, hence A² - I = 0, hence A² = I, and thus A = A-1. But suppose you didn't know what Ab was. Regardless, you still know that the right side is:

-(Ab + b) for all x

but this is a constant, so you have (A² - I)x = y, where y is a constant vector, and this is true for all x. If you plug in x = 0, then you get 0 = y. In other words, the only linear function that is constant is the 0 function. So without knowing explicitly what Ab is, you can deduce still that the right side must be 0 (and so, if you wanted, could then deduce that Ab = -b), and since the right side is 0 for all x, A² - I = 0, and the desired result follows.
  4. Oct 3, 2005 #3
    Oh wow, that really clears things up. thank you very much akg..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?