Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry in a Truss

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    I'm to work out the internal forces in this truss. I know to get the reaction forces first, so I take the moment at the pin support to find the reaction at the roller support. I can't get my head around at how to find x through the geometry to add that force to the moment though. Is there not enough information in the diagram to find it? Or am I missing something simple? OHOCa.png

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2
    Yes you need the 'rise' or vertical height of the truss as well as the span. Alternatively you need the pitch (angle to the horizontal) of the roof.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please note this is set work and you need to post set work in the homework forums in future.

So if you need to come back for further help with this problem, ask a mentor to move it to homework. (Just click the 'report button and ask that's OK)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. Oct 20, 2012 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at the truss carefully. What kind of triangle is formed by the members in the center of the truss?

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4
    Well spotted steamking you are spot on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook