Geometry in a Truss: Find Internal Forces & X

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to work out internal forces in a truss. The speaker mentions taking the moment at the pin support to find the reaction at the roller support, but is struggling to find x through the geometry to add to the moment. They question whether there is enough information in the diagram to find x and ask for assistance. Another person suggests that in order to find x, the 'rise' or vertical height of the truss or the pitch (angle to the horizontal) of the roof is needed. The conversation ends with a reminder to post set work in the homework forums and a mentor offering to move the discussion if needed. A member also suggests looking at the truss carefully and identifying the type of triangle formed
mjan8468
I'm to work out the internal forces in this truss. I know to get the reaction forces first, so I take the moment at the pin support to find the reaction at the roller support. I can't get my head around at how to find x through the geometry to add that force to the moment though. Is there not enough information in the diagram to find it? Or am I missing something simple?
OHOCa.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes you need the 'rise' or vertical height of the truss as well as the span. Alternatively you need the pitch (angle to the horizontal) of the roof.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Please note this is set work and you need to post set work in the homework forums in future.

So if you need to come back for further help with this problem, ask a mentor to move it to homework. (Just click the 'report button and ask that's OK)

Last edited:
Look at the truss carefully. What kind of triangle is formed by the members in the center of the truss?

Look at the truss carefully...

Well spotted steamking you are spot on.

I would suggest using the principles of statics and trigonometry to solve for the internal forces and X in the truss. By taking the moment at the pin support, you have correctly found the reaction at the roller support. To find X, you can use the method of joints or method of sections to analyze the forces acting on the truss and solve for X. It is possible that there may not be enough information in the diagram to solve for X, in which case additional measurements or assumptions may need to be made. It is also important to ensure that all forces and moments are accounted for and in equilibrium to accurately solve for X. I would recommend consulting with a mathematics or engineering expert for further assistance in solving this problem.

What is a truss?

A truss is a structural system made up of interconnected elements, typically in a triangular pattern, that is used to support loads and distribute forces.

How is geometry used in a truss?

In a truss, geometry is used to determine the internal forces, such as tension and compression, within each element. This is done by analyzing the angles and lengths of the truss members and applying principles of statics and mechanics.

What are internal forces in a truss?

Internal forces in a truss are the forces that are transmitted through the truss members and are necessary to keep the truss in equilibrium. These forces include tension, compression, and shear.

How can internal forces be calculated in a truss?

Internal forces can be calculated in a truss by using the method of joints or the method of sections. In the method of joints, the truss is divided into individual joints and the forces at each joint are calculated. In the method of sections, a section of the truss is isolated and the forces acting on that section are analyzed.

Why is it important to find internal forces in a truss?

Finding internal forces in a truss is important because it allows engineers to determine the strength and stability of the truss. This information is crucial in the design and construction of safe and efficient structures.