1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry needed?

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    Do I need to know high school geometry for upper division math? I aced most of my lower division math without any extensive knowledge of HS geometry. I know enough to do a max min box problem and a incline plane physics problem. But other then that, I don't know much.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

It will be difficult to do well in trig without a fairly good background in geometry. Besides the direct utility in knowing something about triangles, you will need the background in proofs (normally taught in geometry) to do well proving identities.

4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    Yes. It is needed more than calc imo. True, you will rarely if ever use Euclid's results but you will get familiar with proofs which dominate all of math. Likewise, geometry courses will cover vectors and matrices (at least in Canada) which are used constantly in higher year math and physics. Most advanced linear algebra courses will assume faimiliarity with these concepts, even if the course prereqs don't. If your geometry course covers trig, that alone would also be a huge factor.

5. Apr 19, 2008 #4
    Well I know trig, vectors and matricies. I just don't know the postulates, theorems and proofs utilized in geometry.

6. Apr 19, 2008 #5
    Okay, so Im guessing you've seen theorems and proofs of other things, which is all you really take home from geometry. Well that and proof by contradiction. No, stuff covered in geometry will not be used in higher math. Unless you get into number theory and compass constructions, which is pure math that a physicist won't usually take.

Still, I have come into about three occassions that invoked the use of similar triangles, subtended angles, and parrallel lines. But other than that, you don't need the results.

It won't hurt to study it, as its not too hard. But if time does not permit, don't sweat it.

7. Apr 19, 2008 #6
    Don't worry about it. If you run into something you don't know, then you should just read up on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?