Do I Need HS Geometry for Upper Division Math?

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary: Math is math, and whether or not you need to know high school geometry for upper division math depends on the course you are taking. In most cases, you will need to know it, but there are a few courses that don't require it.
torquerotates
Do I need to know high school geometry for upper division math? I aced most of my lower division math without any extensive knowledge of HS geometry. I know enough to do a max min box problem and a incline plane physics problem. But other then that, I don't know much.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be difficult to do well in trig without a fairly good background in geometry. Besides the direct utility in knowing something about triangles, you will need the background in proofs (normally taught in geometry) to do well proving identities.

Yes. It is needed more than calc imo. True, you will rarely if ever use Euclid's results but you will get familiar with proofs which dominate all of math. Likewise, geometry courses will cover vectors and matrices (at least in Canada) which are used constantly in higher year math and physics. Most advanced linear algebra courses will assume faimiliarity with these concepts, even if the course prereqs don't. If your geometry course covers trig, that alone would also be a huge factor.

Well I know trig, vectors and matricies. I just don't know the postulates, theorems and proofs utilized in geometry.

Okay, so I am guessing you've seen theorems and proofs of other things, which is all you really take home from geometry. Well that and proof by contradiction. No, stuff covered in geometry will not be used in higher math. Unless you get into number theory and compass constructions, which is pure math that a physicist won't usually take.

Still, I have come into about three occassions that invoked the use of similar triangles, subtended angles, and parrallel lines. But other than that, you don't need the results.

It won't hurt to study it, as its not too hard. But if time does not permit, don't sweat it.

Don't worry about it. If you run into something you don't know, then you should just read up on it.

1. What is HS Geometry and why is it important for upper division math?

HS Geometry, or high school geometry, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, and their properties. It is important for upper division math because many advanced math concepts, such as trigonometry, calculus, and linear algebra, build upon the foundations of geometry.

2. Can I skip HS Geometry and still do well in upper division math?

While it may be possible to skip HS Geometry and still do well in upper division math, it is not recommended. HS Geometry provides the fundamental skills and concepts needed to understand more complex mathematical concepts. It is important to have a strong foundation in geometry in order to excel in upper division math.

3. What specific topics in HS Geometry are most relevant for upper division math?

Some specific topics in HS Geometry that are most relevant for upper division math include basic geometric shapes and their properties, angles and trigonometry, coordinate geometry, and proofs. These concepts are used extensively in upper division math and are crucial for understanding more advanced topics.

4. Can I review HS Geometry concepts while studying upper division math?

Yes, it is always beneficial to review HS Geometry concepts while studying upper division math. Many upper division math courses assume a basic understanding of geometry, so reviewing these concepts can help reinforce your understanding and improve your performance in the course.

5. How can I improve my understanding of HS Geometry for upper division math?

To improve your understanding of HS Geometry for upper division math, you can practice solving problems, work through example questions and proofs, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. It can also be helpful to review basic geometry concepts and formulas before starting an upper division math course.