Geometry of Linear Systems: True or False?

In summary: False 3. There is a linear system in three unknowns whose solution set is that plane. True 4. If W is any plane in R^3, there is a linear system in three unknowns whose solution set is that plane. False 5. If Ax=b is consistent, then every vector in the solution set is orthogonal to every row vector of A.
FrogginTeach
I am taking a Linear Algebra class to finish up my master's degree in math curriculum and instruction. I have been doing okay until these questions. I need some help.

True/False

1. If Ax=b has infinitely many solutions, then so does Ax=0.

2. If Ax=b is inconsistent, then Ax=0 has only the trivial solution.

3. The fewest number of hyperplanes in R^4 that can intersect in a single pt is 4.

4. If W is any plane in R^3, there is a linear system in three unknowns whose solution set is that plane.

5. If Ax=b is consistent, then every vector in the solution set is orthogonal to every row vector of A.

I really hope that someone can help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
FrogginTeach said:
I am taking a Linear Algebra class to finish up my master's degree in math curriculum and instruction. I have been doing okay until these questions. I need some help.
I'm a little surprised you haven't done a Linear Algebra class despite the fact you have a bacherlor's degree in math education.

1. If Ax=b has infinitely many solutions, then so does Ax=0.
If Ax=b has infinitely many solutions what does that imply about the reduced-row echelon form (RREF) of A? And what does that, in turn, tell you about how many solutions are there to Ax=0?

2. If Ax=b is inconsistent, then Ax=0 has only the trivial solution.
Like above, what does Ax=b being inconsistent imply about the RREF of A? And what does that tell you about Ax=0?

3. The fewest number of hyperplanes in R^4 that can intersect in a single pt is 4.
What is the general form of an equation of a hyperplane in R4? Suppose you have 3 or less hyperplanes represented as hyperplane equations. What does the intersection point of the hyperplanes tell you about solution set of the hyperplane equations?

4. If W is any plane in R^3, there is a linear system in three unknowns whose solution set is that plane.
How is a plane described in R3? How else may it be given?

5. If Ax=b is consistent, then every vector in the solution set is orthogonal to every row vector of A.
What does the definition of two vectors being orthogonal imply for any given vector in the solution set of the matrix equation Ax=b? More specifically, what happens if you have a vector v which is orthogonal to all the row vectors of A? Does it still satisfy Av=b?

I have taken Linear Algebra, but it has been a long time. I'm taking this course online and it is a lot harder to understand.

I'm still a little confused.

Which one are you confused with? You need to be more specific.

Ok. Here are my answers

1. True
2. True
3. False
4. False
5. True

I'm not 100% confident in any of these answers.

Any reason why you chose them as true/false for each one? I'm sure the question requires either a proof or a counterexample for each claim.

These homework questions are simply true or false questions requiring no work or explanation.

Okay. I decided to just choose systems to look at for a few of these problems.

True 1. I found that Ax = 0 would also have infinitely many solutions.

False 2. I found that Ax=0 would also be inconsistent.

I'm not even sure where to begin with the others.

My answers for the first two are the same as yours. But not for the last 3. You only need a counterexample to disprove the false claims.

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a group of equations with multiple variables that can be solved simultaneously to find the values of those variables. Each equation in the system represents a line in a graph, and the solution to the system is where all of these lines intersect.

2. How is the geometry of linear systems related to solving them?

The geometry of linear systems is closely related to solving them because the solution to a system is represented by the point where all of the lines intersect. This point can be found by graphing the equations and visually determining the intersection, which is known as the graphical method. Alternatively, the geometry of the system can also be used to understand and apply other methods of solving, such as substitution or elimination.

3. What is the importance of understanding the geometry of linear systems?

Understanding the geometry of linear systems is crucial because it allows us to visualize and interpret the solution to the system. It also helps us to identify the number of solutions a system may have, such as one, none, or infinitely many. Additionally, the geometry of the system can provide insights into the relationships between the equations and variables in the system.

4. Can a linear system have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear system can have one, none, or infinitely many solutions. In terms of geometry, this means that the lines representing the equations in the system can intersect at one point, no points, or all points on the graph. The number of solutions is determined by the number of equations and variables in the system.

5. How can the geometry of linear systems be applied in real-world situations?

The geometry of linear systems can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in engineering, economics, and physics. For example, it can be used to model and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as finding the optimal production levels for a company or determining the intersection point of two moving objects. It can also be used to analyze data and make predictions based on linear relationships.