1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry of sphere

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    Subject wise, this seems the most appropriate forum, so I'll post here. Feel free to move.

Given a circle of radius r, whose center is distance R from point P and which always lies in a plane perpendicular to line defined by P and center of circle (r) at distance R. All points of the circle will always lie within the surface of a sphere centered on P of radius= sqr( r^2 +R^2). I'm pretty confident on my result but intuitively I didn't expect this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I am a little confused by your terms, but I think this is equivalent to slicing a sphere at a distance R from the centre. This generates a circular cross section and the points on the circumference of that circular cross section are all on the surface of the sphere.

AM

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    Yes, that is what I'm doing. I just came at it from a strange viewpoint. I was setting up some kinematic equations for a gyro rim, the axel of which is constrained to pass through point P, and the center of which is constrained to distance R from P. What surprised me was that for all r,R >0 all points of the gyro rim (idealized to a circle of course) lie within a sphere. On reflection, I see this is to be expected. Thanks.

5. Mar 6, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take any of the points, X, on the circle and draw the line from the center of the circle, O, to X, the line from O to P, and the line from X to P. Since the circle is in a plane perpendicular to OP, those three line segments form a right triangle. The distance from X to O is r and the distance from O to P is R. Use the Pythagorean to find the distance from X to P.

6. Mar 6, 2005 #5
    Yes, that was my original solution, in essence. I was looking at the "axel" rotating in the xy plane and was curious as to the nature of the surface of revolution. What I wasn't expecting was that for all non-negative R,r all points of circle (r) lie in a single sphere of radius= sqr(r^2 +R^2) . It even fails sensibly in the cases R=0, r=0 and R,r=0,0 collapsing to sphere radius r, sphere radius R and point P respectively. For some silly reason I was thinking of varying oblateness, depending on R,r. Didn't want to believe myself. Leads to some interesting implications I may explore, like the instantaneous v always in the tangent plane.(to the sphere at that point.)

Again Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?