1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Partition

1. Aug 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For n>14 such that n is an integer, prove that a square can be partitioned into n smaller squares...

2. Relevant equations

None...

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking this would be somewhat of an induction proof because we are working our way up to n. So far, I've found when n = 15, n = 17, but somehow n = 16 is eluding me at the moment. I'm just trying to see what it would look like if I were to do this visually, however my assumption is that this has to deal with modulo 3 in some form or another. How this works into a proof is also something that is eluding me. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but at first sight a proof by induction seems impossible. Because suppose you have shown that if it is possible for n, then it can also be done for n + 1.
    Clearly, for n = 4 the statement is true (or even for n = 1, if you want).

Also, what do you mean by "partition into smaller squares"? Does that count all squares? For example, when you draw a 3x3 grid in the square, does that give 9 squares? Or does that give 9 (1x1) squares + 4 (2x2) squares = 13 in total?
    Also, can you post an image for n = 15, just to get the problem clear?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook