Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometry Problem- Latitudes

1. Dec 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose your location has a latitude of 43 degrees and the circumference of the Earth is 40,000 km. Measure the distance from your location along a circle. How far would you have to travel if you go a) to the equator, and b) to the North Pole

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part "a" I got about 4,777 km. But not sure how to go about part "b". I need the a new latitude but not sure how to get it. I originally thought about subtracting 43 degrees form 360 degrees, but that seems way too big as it's the whole circumference of the Earth minus the portion from problem "a".
    Please see attached image. I need to find angle NOT I think.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2017 #2
    Image of work

Attached Files:

4. Dec 18, 2017 #3
    Actually I think I might have it. If I separate it into four quadrants, E to N would be 90 degrees. Which would make T to N 47 degrees.

5. Dec 18, 2017 #4
    What is the latitude of the North Pole?

6. Dec 18, 2017 #5
    This is my first tussle with latitudes etc. But from my previous post, I will be willing to bet it's 90 degrees.

7. Dec 18, 2017 #6
    So how many degrees of latitude are there between 43 N and the North Pole?

8. Dec 18, 2017 #7
    47 degrees. So would I continue as:

[(47/360) x 40,000] / (360) = 5222 km approximately?

9. Dec 18, 2017 #8
    Do you really need to ask?

10. Dec 18, 2017 #9
    I got that part since it was done the same was as problem "a". The part that I was unsure about was finding the second latitude as I was originally subtracting the given from 360. I got it now. Thanks for your reply sir.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted