How to Find the Area of Quadrilateral BEFC in an Equilateral Triangle?

In summary, the homework statement is an ABC triangle with sides of 2 cm. BC is extended its own length to point D and point E is the midpoint of AB. ED meets AC at F. Find the area of quadrilateral BEFC in square centimeters in simplest radical form.
asura

Homework Statement

ABC is an equilateral triangle with sides of 2 cm. BC is extended its own length to point D and point E is the midpoint of AB. ED meets AC at F. Find the area of quadrilateral BEFC in square centimeters in simplest radical form. Show all work and clearly label figure(s).

Homework Equations

pythagorean theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I could solve for the area of BEFC by making AF = 2-x and FC = x, but it's really convoluted and messy. Is there a simpler way of finding BEFC?

Attachments

• triangles.JPG
    triangles.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 653
Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, the Pythagorean theorem definitely comes up.

I suggest the following:

1. assign some coordinate axes to your problem. I think B(0,0) and C(2,0) would be good.
2. find the coordinates of all the points (except F, F is the hard one). The coordinates of E are 1/2 those of A (that should be fairly straightforward).
3. find the equation of line DE
4. find the equation of line AC
5. find the coordinates of F by find the intersection of the above two lines
6. use the y-coordinate of E to find the area of triangle BED
7. use the y-coordinate of F to find the area of triangle CFD
8. subtract the above two areas to find the needed area

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to do this (I guess someone will scold me if I'm not), but I attached a picture of how I solved the problem. It's a little messy (it's what I was writing while I was thinking about your problem), but should be readable.

Attachments

• soln.jpg
    soln.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 834
i did the problem and got the same thing as misho.

misho is correct, but there is an easier way to do it without using messy coordinates if you know a few geometric properties.

I would first suggest drawing AD, because then we have another triangle to work with. In particular, you should notice something special about the new triangle ABD from the lengths of its sides and its angles.

There is a fact in geometry that says the three medians of the triangle divide a triangle into 6 smaller triangles of equal area. What line can you draw in ABD that would make this fact useful?

There, you've solved it :smile:

Note: Consequently, you should be able to find x/(2-x) very easily. What is point F to triangle ABD?

That's really neat. I didn't know about that theorem. Weird that in 6 or more years of geometry, it's never come up. It's a fairly easy one to prove, too. Then again, here in Ontario, they didn't even teach us that medians cut each other in a 2 to 1 ratio, and that little fact has come in useful in a number of courses I've taken.

I'm not surprised it didn't. In the US, too, we don't learn and we don't teach geometry well. Unfortunately, a lot of it has to come from self-study.

What is a triangle?

A triangle is a geometric shape that has three sides and three angles. It is one of the basic shapes in geometry and is represented by the Greek letter delta (Δ).

What are the types of triangles?

There are three main types of triangles: equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. An equilateral triangle has three equal sides and three equal angles. An isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles. A scalene triangle has no equal sides or angles.

How do you calculate the perimeter of a triangle?

The perimeter of a triangle is the total length of all its sides. To calculate the perimeter, you add the lengths of all three sides together. For example, if a triangle has sides of length 5 cm, 7 cm, and 9 cm, the perimeter would be 5 + 7 + 9 = 21 cm.

What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In equation form, it is written as a² + b² = c², where c is the length of the hypotenuse.

What are the properties of similar triangles?

Similar triangles have the same shape but differ in size. The following are the properties of similar triangles:

• Their corresponding angles are equal.
  • Their corresponding sides are in proportion.
  • The ratio of their corresponding sides is the same.