1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry problem

1. Jan 14, 2006 #1
    "Find all possible values of a and b given that y = ax + 14 is the perpendicular bisector of the line joining (1,2) to (b,6)" I'm totally stuck :confused: I've tried all the methods I could think of but they all lead to dead ends. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
    Many thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2006 #2
    Ok guys I managed to solve it :D I was wondering if you could me whether my method was the best to use in the situation though and whether or not there was a simpler way. Here goes:

A(1,2) B(b,6)

I worked out the gradient of AB to be 4/(b-1)

I knew that the product of the gradient of AB and the line y = ax + 14 had to be -1 as they are perpendicular, so 4/(b-1) had to be -1/a

I rearranged that to get b = 1 - 4a

I worked out the coordinates of the mid-point of AB to be ((1+b)/2 , 4) so I then substitued that into y = ax + 14 and rearranged to get b = -1-(20/a)

#1 b = 1 - 4a
    #2 b = -1 - (20/a)

I then solved them simultaneously to get the values of a and then substitued those into equation #1 to get the values of b.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook