1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry proof

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    am i missing something, or is this really hard to prove? anyone know a proof? an elegant one?

Given:
    triangle ABC
    bisector of A intersects BC at D
    bisector of B intersects AC at E
    AE = BD

Prove: ABC is isosceles

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2008 #2
    Draw a picture, and apply the Sine Rule like possessed. Notice that the two angles at D have the same sine; this is also true for the two angles at E.

4. Jan 15, 2008 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have the moderators given up on maintaining the distinction between these forums and the homework forums?

5. Jan 15, 2008 #4
    I first encountered this problem almost eight years ago and on occasion still try to prove it. It serves as a kind of meditation, almost Zen in a way.

I did manage to prove it using coordinate geometry, but of course that's cheating. A paper and compass solution eludes me still. I'm of two minds as to whether I'd like to get a solution from this thread, or still try and solve it myself.

6. Jan 15, 2008 #5
    DoDo,

That works. Nice!

P.S. Ben Niehoff, this really wasn't from a homework assignment. I ran across this problem years ago, could never solve it, and just happen to think of it a few days ago.

7. Jan 15, 2008 #6

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, my mistake. But there have certainly been a lot of them in this forum lately. It gets annoying after a while.

8. Jan 17, 2008 #7
    If we let [tex]\alpha[/tex] = ABE and [tex]\beta[/tex] = DAB, does then sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]=AE/AB and sin[tex]\beta[/tex]=BD/AB?
    And since AE = BD, then [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are equal?

Am I making assumptions from my sketch here?

9. Jan 18, 2008 #8
    Why sin alfa = AE/AB ? What the Sine Rule says is that (sin alfa) / AE = (sin angle AEB) / AB.

10. Jan 18, 2008 #9
    I understand what you're saying, however, all I am using here is sin=opp/hyp. In my construction, sin(beta) = BD/hyp, and sin(alpha)=AE/hyp.

If they share the same hypotenuse (side AB in my post), then because AE=BE the two angles will be the same.

Here's my problem: I do believe I assumed AB is the hypotenuse for the two triangles being compared.

11. Jan 18, 2008 #10
    In order to have an hypotenuse, you need a right angle somewhere.

12. Jan 18, 2008 #11
    Right. I realize now the very obvious mistake I made. I chose to draw the triangle equilateral, giving me the right angles I needed. Of course, that breaks the rules from the get-go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook