1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Proof

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ABC be a triangle, and suppose that AB is the largest side. Prove that the perpendicular from C to the line AB crosses at some point D with A*D*B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that since AB is the largest side, that angle ACB is the largest angle. I also know that CD < CB and CD < CA because a perpendicular is the shortest distance from a point to a line.

I think what I want to say is something like: If we have A*B*D, then we would have CB < CD, which is a contradiction. Is this the right line of thinking, or am I going about this the wrong way?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are thinking along the right general direction. But I don't know if CD is the right segment to focus on. If the order of the points is A*B*D then don't you know AC>AD and AD>AB?

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    How do I know that AC > AD from that? If that's true, then I have a contradiction, since AB is supposed to be the longest side, but AC is longer than it.

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

AC is the hypotenuse of a right triangle and AD is a leg. AC>AD. Pythagoras told me.

6. Oct 7, 2008 #5
    Duh! :rolleyes: Thanks a lot for your help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?