Can I Use Theorems In Geometry Proofs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of geometry proofs and the process of proving or disproving a proposition or claim. The speaker asks for clarification on whether they can state a point in their proof and say "by theorem" or if they must do a subproof to prove the theorem. They also mention being unsure of how to prove two angles congruent and the importance of working backwards when trying to prove something. The conversation then shifts to a new question regarding finding the measurement of angle y in a triangle. In summary, the conversation covers various aspects of geometry proofs and the challenges they can present.
wubie
[SOLVED] Geometry Proofs.

Hello,

I am currently taking a second year mathematics course in geometry at university. I have to do quite a few proofs and I am not used to doing proofs much less geometry proofs -last time I took geometry was when I was in grade 10 and that was over ten years ago.

So far in the course we have covered various theorems and have done proofs for these theorems. What I would like to know is, when I am attempting to prove or disprove a propostion/claim, if I state a point in my proof, can I say "by theorem"? Or once I have made a point, do I have to do a subproof and prove the theorem with respect to that point?

I hope my question is clear. Any input would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can certainly say "By Theorem 27" (or "14a on page 128" or cite the statement of the theorem) assuming that that theorem has already been proven. You should have shown, in previous steps, that the hypotheses of that theorem are satisfied.

Hi Ivy (may I call you Ivy?),

Thanks for your reply.

In class and in the text, certain theorems have been proved and axioms are of course a given. So when I make a statement it is followed by "by Theorem ________." or "by Axiom _______."

Now what do you mean by

You should have shown, in previous steps, that the hypotheses of that theorem are satisfied.
It may seem to be an elementry statement but nothing is elementry to me.

LMAO!

For example: a standard exercise in goemetry is to show that two angles are conguent. How you would do that, of course, depends on the exact situation. But suppose you notice that the two angles are in triangles that look suspiciously alike!

You should immediately think "Corresponding Parts of Congruent Triangles are Congruent"- since congruent triangles are precisely those that are exactly alike. Of course, just saying that they look alike isn't enough. Before you can use that, you would have to show that the triangles really are congruent.

Again, how you do that would depend on the situation. But a common way is "Side-Angle-Side": show that two sides of one triangle and the angle between them are congruent to two sides of the other triangle and the angle between them. But before you could use that you would have to show that those sides and angle are congruent. Keep going back until you get to an axiom or a "given" that you don't have to justify.

In fact, that's a common way of deciding how to prove something: work backwards. If you are to prove two segments are congruent, think of all the ways you know how to do that and look at the diagram, givens, etc. See what you have to know (what the "hypotheses" are on those theorems) and ask yourself how you would prove that. You wind up changing from "how do I prove" one thing to "how do I prove" another until, hopefully, you get to something you recognise as an axiom or given.

hey, can anyone help me with this problem. I just can't concentrate hard enough to get it. Please, help me. I would really appreciate your help.
The drawing is attached in a file

Thanks.
Rahul

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 422
Rahul, when you have a new question it is better to start your own thread than to "hi-jack" someone elses thread!

In you picture, it appears that you intend a single line through O- a diameter. If the two "vertical" lines are not intended to be a single line, then I don't see how you can find angle y.

The marks on the lower triangle, I take it, show that the two segments are congruent. That being the case, since one of them is a radius of the circle, and the third line is a radius, you have an equilateral triangle. All angles, including the angle at the bottom are 60 degrees and angle x has measure 90- 60= 30 degrees.

Assuming I am correct about the long line through O actually being a single line: a diameter of the circle, then the large triangle is a right triangle. The angle at the bottom is 60 degrees, as said before, and the angle at the top, angle y, is 30 degrees.

sorry for disturbing your conversation, but thank you for help.
I will start my own thread because I got some other problems to solve.

Thanks for the advice HallsOfIvy. Those are good ideas.

Cheers.

I hate proofs so much... I took Geometry in 8th grade last year, and proofs are...well...you know what I mean...

Gcn_Zelda!...

Originally posted by gcn_zelda
I hate proofs so much... I took Geometry in 8th grade last year, and proofs are...well...you know what I mean...

Well, Well, Well...

Isn't it Gcn_Zelda from the Rpgtoolkit.

Yes... we are stalking you...

Mwhahahahaha!

---------------------------

I loathe doing "proof" questions. There are really no definite answers. Instead, the majority of the answer is based on the entire structure of the steps that comes to proving. I loathe those types of questions...[zz)]

PS: 043482...

Last edited:
I like proof questions

I know I'm odd :P

1. What is a geometry proof?

A geometry proof is a logical argument that uses deductive reasoning to show that a mathematical statement is true. It involves using known facts, definitions, and previously proven theorems to justify each step in the argument.

2. Why are geometry proofs important?

Geometry proofs are important because they help us understand and prove geometric concepts and theorems. They also help develop critical thinking skills and improve problem-solving abilities.

3. What are the steps to writing a geometry proof?

The steps to writing a geometry proof are:

1. State the given information and what needs to be proven.
  2. List any relevant definitions or theorems that can be used.
  3. Draw a diagram to visualize the problem.
  4. Write out the statements and reasons for each step in the proof.
  5. Conclude with a statement that summarizes the proof.

4. How do I know if my geometry proof is correct?

A correct geometry proof should follow a logical sequence of statements and reasons, using only valid definitions and theorems. It should also lead to the desired conclusion or proof of the given statement.

5. Can I use different methods to prove the same theorem in geometry?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to prove the same theorem in geometry. However, it is important to use valid reasoning and follow the accepted methods of proof in order to ensure the validity and accuracy of the proof.