How can I find the length of a bisected shape with trigonometry?

In summary, the given expression is approximated to be 0.197. The conversation discusses different approaches to solve the problem, including using Pythagoras' Theorem, Sine Law, and the angle addition formula for sine. It is also suggested to use the interior angle of the top triangle, 2\sin^{-1}(.45), and the length of the red segment, \sqrt{3}, to simplify the expression.
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sqrt{2.3925} - 1.35 \approx 0.197[/itex]

Yes, that appears to be the correct answer. I am interested how you got it. The expression I got was
sin((60-2*(90-arccos(.45)))/2) * 3^.5 * 2

2(sin(120)/sin(30))sin((60 - Y)/2)
= 2(sin(120)/sin(30))(sin(30)cos(Y/2) - cos(30)sin(Y/2))
= 2(30.5)(0.5(1 - 0.45²)0.5 - 0.5(30.5)(0.45))
= (3(1 - 0.45²))0.5 - 1.35
= (2.3925)0.5 - 1.35

Y is the small angle in the triangle the contains the blue line (the bottom angle). I didn't want to use any inverse trigonometric functions, so I used Pythogras' Theorem, Sine Law, and the angle addition formula for sine.

Hmm, if you bisect the figure, then you have an isoscoles trianlge at the top so the interior angle of the top triangle is
[tex]2\sin^{-1}(.45)[/tex]
Moreover, it's not hard to see that the length from the center intersection to the edge of the red segment has length
[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

That means that you can go with:
[tex]2\left(\sqrt{3} \sin\left(30-\sin^{-1}(.45)\right)\right)[/tex]

Which can easily be simplified using angle addition forumlas.

1. What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties, measurements, and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids. It is the study of shapes and their spatial characteristics.

2. Why is geometry important?

Geometry is important because it is applicable to many real-world situations and helps us understand the world around us. It is used in fields such as engineering, architecture, art, and physics to solve problems and make predictions.

3. How is geometry used in everyday life?

Geometry is used in everyday life in many ways, such as designing buildings, creating maps, and measuring distances and angles. It is also used in cooking, fashion design, and even sports such as basketball and soccer.

4. What are the basic shapes in geometry?

The basic shapes in geometry are point, line, plane, and solid. A point has no size or shape, a line is a straight path that extends infinitely in both directions, a plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions, and a solid has three dimensions and takes up space.

5. How can I improve my understanding of geometry?

To improve your understanding of geometry, you can practice solving problems, draw and manipulate shapes, and use real-world examples to apply geometric concepts. You can also use online resources, textbooks, and seek help from a tutor or teacher.