1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry question in 3 space.

1. Aug 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Find the vector equation of the plane through the points (2,−1, 0) and (−5,−3, 1)
    that is parallel to the line joining the points (3, 5,−1) and (0, 3,−2).
    (b) Find the parametric equations of the straight line though the origin that is perpendicular
    to this plane, and find where it intersects the plane.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\hat{n} \cdot (r~-~r_{0}) = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, I found two vectors, on joining the points (2,−1, 0) and (−5,−3, 1) and another joining the points (3, 5,−1) and (0, 3,−2), seeing as they are parallel they will share the same normal vector [tex]\hat{n}[/tex].

Then using [tex]\hat{n} \cdot (r~-~r_{0}) = 0[/tex] with r being (-5,-3, 1) and [tex]r_{0}[/tex] being (2,-1,0). To get the vector form of the equation plane.

but I am not exactly sure what points to use at this stage.

and I haven't attempted b as yet.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

(a) Use a vector operation to get the normal vector.

(b)For this you need the normal vector from a). Note that [tex]k\mathbf{n}[/tex] for some real value of k will give you a point on the plane. Think about what the line corresponding to this position vector means.

4. Aug 26, 2008 #3
    ok, are my methods correct, so far?

thanks.

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4
    anyone?

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Those two vectors are certainly NOT parallel. Why would you think they are? The vector connecting the first two points is <7, 2, -1> and, connecting the last two, <3, 2, 1>. Since one is not a multiple of the other, they are not parallel.

7. Aug 27, 2008 #6
    Ok yep, I assumed that because <3, 2, 1> was parallel to the plane it would be parallel to a vector lying on that plane <7, 2, -1>.

So where exactly do I go from here?
    thanks.

8. Aug 27, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

It isn't parallel, which is a good thing since otherwise that vector operation wouldn't work! For any plane there is an infinite number of vectors which are parallel to it; just think of rotating an arrow on a board by 360 degrees, every possible vector corresponding to the arrow direction is parallel to the plane. It is precisely that it is non-parallel that you can apply the said vector operation to get the normal vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?