Proving Quadrilateral PQRS is a Parallelogram

• Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation revolved around proving that PQRS is a parallelogram given certain angles and bisectors. The sum of angles of a pentagon was also mentioned, with the solution being 540 degrees. The relationship between angle a and p/2 and q/2 was discussed, with the sum of angles of the pentagon being expressed in terms of a, p/2, q/2, r, and s. The conversation ended with the acknowledgement of a new and easier method for solving the question.
physics kiddy
Recently, I bought a book and found a strange question :

In the given figure, PQRS is a quadrilateral. PO and QO are bisectors of angle P and angle Q respectively, then prove that angle QOP = 1/2 (angle R + angle S)

I made several attempts to get the solution but failed. I guess, we need to prove that PQRS is a parallelogram.

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Write out the sum of angles of the yellow pentagon.

ehild

Attachments

• quadrilateral.JPG
    quadrilateral.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 423
It's 540 degrees.

physics kiddy said:
It's 540 degrees.

OK. How is the angle a related to p/2 and q/2? What is the sum of angles of the pentagon in terms of a, p/2, q/2, r and s?

ehild

Last edited:
In triangle QOP, determine angle QOP, hence determine reflex angle QOP.

Physics kiddy disappeared...

p/2+q/2=180-a (triangle)
p/2+q/2+r+s+360-a=540 (pentagon) -->

180-a+r+s+360-a=540, 2a=r+s.

ehild

Thank you ! Thank you again. I disappeared because I found the solution in a book. But you wrote a completely new and easy method to solve this question. Now, I have got two ways to solve this question.

I would like to see that solution from the book so much! Could you please show it?:smile:

ehild

1. What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a four-sided shape with two pairs of parallel sides. This means that the opposite sides are parallel and the opposite angles are equal.

2. How do you prove that a quadrilateral is a parallelogram?

There are several ways to prove that a quadrilateral is a parallelogram. One way is to show that both pairs of opposite sides are parallel. This can be done by using slope calculations or by showing that the opposite sides have the same length. Another way is to show that both pairs of opposite angles are equal.

3. What is the most common method for proving a parallelogram?

The most common method for proving a parallelogram is by using the properties of parallelograms. These properties include opposite sides being parallel, opposite angles being equal, consecutive angles being supplementary, and diagonals bisecting each other.

4. Can you prove a quadrilateral is a parallelogram if only one pair of sides is parallel?

No, if only one pair of sides is parallel, then the shape is not a parallelogram. To be considered a parallelogram, both pairs of opposite sides must be parallel.

5. Are there any special cases where a quadrilateral is automatically a parallelogram?

Yes, if a quadrilateral has two pairs of congruent sides, then it is automatically a parallelogram. This is because congruent sides imply that the opposite sides are parallel. Another special case is if the diagonals of a quadrilateral bisect each other, then it is also a parallelogram.