1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Question

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    Do lines have to be intersecting in order to be perpendicular?

For example, is a line which is perpendicular to a plane perpendicular to only the lines on that plane which intersect with it, or ALL lines on that plane?

Thanks.

[tex]\pi[/tex]

The Rev

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,of course not,once u consider euclidean geometry in 3 dimensions.I think u gave the answer yourself.A line perpendicular to a plane is perpendicular on any line from that plane.And obviously the 2 lines are not coplanar & don't intersect...

Daniel.

4. Apr 20, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like being parallel, there isn't really a standard way of defining perpendicular lines in 3-space. Some prefer them to be intersecting, others not.

5. Apr 20, 2005 #4
    Maybe it's just me but I always thought of perpendicular as being a term that applies to vectors not lines. So a plane is perpendicular to a vector x if all the vectors in the plane (not lines) were perpendicular the the vector x. Since vectors intersect at the origin there's no real confusion.

I guess it should be easy to extend this definition of lines just by saying two lines are perpendicular if their direction vectors are perpendicular. Or you could require intersection. I guess it depends on the source you are working with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook