Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Question

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    Do lines have to be intersecting in order to be perpendicular?

For example, is a line which is perpendicular to a plane perpendicular to only the lines on that plane which intersect with it, or ALL lines on that plane?

Thanks.

[tex]\pi[/tex]

The Rev

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,of course not,once u consider euclidean geometry in 3 dimensions.I think u gave the answer yourself.A line perpendicular to a plane is perpendicular on any line from that plane.And obviously the 2 lines are not coplanar & don't intersect...

Daniel.

4. Apr 20, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like being parallel, there isn't really a standard way of defining perpendicular lines in 3-space. Some prefer them to be intersecting, others not.

5. Apr 20, 2005 #4
    Maybe it's just me but I always thought of perpendicular as being a term that applies to vectors not lines. So a plane is perpendicular to a vector x if all the vectors in the plane (not lines) were perpendicular the the vector x. Since vectors intersect at the origin there's no real confusion.

I guess it should be easy to extend this definition of lines just by saying two lines are perpendicular if their direction vectors are perpendicular. Or you could require intersection. I guess it depends on the source you are working with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?