Geometry-Ratios homework problem

In summary, the conversation was about solving a problem involving a scale model of a submarine. The package stated that the scale was 1 inch:16 feet, and the question was about finding the length of the completed model. The conversation included a solution process and a discussion about units and writing equations. The final answer was determined to be 35 inches, and it was suggested to define the variable as "length of the completed model" for better understanding.
Dagenais
I know it is an easy problem, but I want to know if I have the answer correct.

I'm confused whether the answer is already in inches, or is still in feet.

The story problem is:

The larget submarines in the United States Navy are of the Ohio class. Each submarine is 560 feet long.

You purcahse a scale model of one of the submarines. The package states the scale of 1 inch: 16 feet. What is the length of the completed model?

So to solve, I put:

x/560ft = 1/16ft

x=35

OR is x = 420 inches? Is 35 already in inches, or is it still feet and needs to be converted (which results in 420 inches).

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you put the units on all of the terms that went into that ratio, your answer would have the units on it!

I did, and it is 1inch/16ft and xinches/560feet.

Doesn't help much, since I have both inches and feet.

Is "x" supposed to be "length of the model" or "number of inches in the length of the model"? (The way you wrote the ratio, it's the latter)

I did, and it is 1inch/16ft and xinches/560feet.

Doesn't help much, since I have both inches and feet.

Why doesn't it help? Surely you can do some sort of canceling, or if not, make some sort of substitution...

So I was right, 35 inches is the answer?

You have
[tex] \frac {1 inch} {16 ft} = \frac {x inches} {560 ft} [/tex]

when you multiply both sides by 560ft you get

[tex] {x inches} = \frac {1 inch * 560 ft} {16 ft}[/tex]

the feet cancel leaving only inches.

I did it on my calculator.

I completely missed that whole 2nd step. I kind of just typed in the equation in my calculator.

So 35 is right, thanks!

BTW, how did you write those equations? I recall instructions about it on the forums, before new forums were added but I can't find them.

click on the formulas to see the text entered to create them.

note that color does not matter.

P.S. IMHO, it makes it easier to understand things like this if you solve the problem by first defining your variable x as "The length of the completed model"

Then the ratio is

1 in / 16 ft = x / 560 ft

And when you solve, you're left with

x = 35 in

1. What is a ratio in geometry?

A ratio in geometry is a comparison between two or more quantities or measurements. It is often expressed as a fraction or using the colon symbol (:). For example, a ratio of 2:3 means that for every 2 units of one quantity, there are 3 units of another quantity.

2. How do I find the ratio of two shapes?

To find the ratio of two shapes, you need to compare their corresponding sides or dimensions. For example, if one shape has sides of 4 cm and 6 cm, and the other shape has sides of 8 cm and 12 cm, the ratio of the first shape to the second shape would be 4:8 or 1:2.

3. What is a proportion in geometry?

A proportion in geometry is a statement that two ratios are equal. It can also be thought of as an equation involving two ratios. Proportions are often used to solve problems involving similar figures or objects.

4. How do I solve a ratio in geometry?

To solve a ratio in geometry, you can use a proportion. Set up an equation where the two ratios are equal to each other, and then cross-multiply to solve for the unknown quantity. For example, if the ratio of the lengths of two sides of a triangle is 3:5 and one side has a length of 12 cm, you can set up the proportion 3/5 = 12/x and solve for x.

5. What are some real-life applications of ratios in geometry?

Ratios in geometry are used in many real-life situations, such as determining the scale of maps or blueprints, calculating the aspect ratio of screens or photos, and finding the proportions of ingredients in a recipe. They are also used in architecture and engineering to design and construct buildings and structures with specific proportions and dimensions.