1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Scalar Equation Help

1. Apr 4, 2006 #1
    The question is,

Find a scalar equation that passes through the points (3,2,3), (-4,1,2) and (-1,3,2).

What I did was put that into the vector equation form, using (3,2,3) as a position vector, resulting in:

r=(3,2,3) +t(-7,-1,-1) + s(-5,2,0)

Then I found the cross product of the directional vectors and went from there, but my final answer was different then the one in the text book. Can someone tell me what I did wrong please?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

s should be multiplied by (-3, 2, 0). Looks like you added instead of subtracted.

The better way to do this problem is to solve the system of equations, with matrix algebra if you have it.
  4. Apr 4, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what it means for an "equation" to pass through three points. A line or a plane can pass through points but an equation is not a geometric object and has nothing to do with "points".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?