Preparing for University: Geometry Books Recommended

In summary: Kiselev's Geometry (Online Resources)Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan PedoeGeometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe (Online Resources)In summary, a student looking for a geometry book recommends the textbook Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe. This textbook is a high school Geometry textbook. It is a good overview at a low price. Another good book is Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe (Online Resources).
Kinhew93
Hi

I'm starting university in September and wanted to consolidate my current knowledge.

I got hold of a nice textbook called 'foundation mathematics' which covers algebra to fairly basic calculus, but was looking for a good one on geometry.

Can anyone recommend any decent books (or websites) that covers simple mathematics (geometry, algebra, trig, beginning calculus, arithmetic, etc) quite rigorously?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Geometry textbook by bass & others, through Prentice-Hall is an excellent one. It's a high school Geometry textbook.

What does quite rigorously mean? I would suggest a book by Lang, Coxeter, or Courant. The geometry book Geometry: A Comprehensive Course by Dan Pedoe while not perfect is a good overview at a low price. For arithmetic do you mean something like A Course in Arithmetic by J-P. Serre or more like 2/3-3/5=1/15?

If you like older books many are free online like
The new complete system of arithmetic, composed for the use of the citizens of the United States by Nicolas Pike
Algebra: An Elementary Text-Book for the Higher Classes of Secondary Schools and for Colleges by George Chrystal
Elements by Euclid

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
For arithmetic do you mean something like A Course in Arithmetic by J-P. Serre or more like 2/3-3/5=1/15?

Why are you recommending Serre for a guy who is still in high school?? Why do you possibly think this is a good recommendation?

^It does not say still in high school in the OP. I did not recommend it, I asked for clarification. I have know high school students who have read it, they were unusual.

lurflurf said:
^It does not say still in high school in the OP. I did not recommend it, I asked for clarification. I have know high school students who have read it, they were unusual.

He says this:

I'm starting university in September

And he's currently reading a book on basic algebra. And he wants recommendations for websites of things like trig. And you honestly think he wants something on the level of Serre's course in arithmetic? Wow...

I don't "honestly" think anything about the level wanted as it is unclear. Serre was an example of a very high level. The suggested books were more usual. Perhaps a better way to phrase the question is

OP on a scale of 0-2000 where Math Made Easy: 1st Grade Workbook, Ages 6-7 by Sue Phillips and Sean McArdle is a 25 and Serre is a 1000 what level do you want.

or even better
Please provide more details about what you would like in an arithmetic book.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

I need to be a bit clearer. The level that I am at is that I am just starting university, and probably the most advanced stuff I've done is calculus using hyp/inv trig functions, induction, Mclauren series etc. Hopefully that gives an idea of where I am at.

What I am looking to do is read over simple stuff that I already know, but whilst being aware of where everingthing comes from, proving things etc. As said above I'm mainly looking for a geometry book, and your suggestions look pretty appropriate so thanks :)

I have found that it can be helpful to look at things like trig again with the perspective that I have now, and this can sort of solidify the connections between topics in my mind.

Are you particularly interested in mathematics or just looking for the basics? For example often a student interested in mathematics will like a trigonometry book with spherical trigonometry, proofs, and some challenging problems for a review. For arithmetic do you just want to review things like fractions, percents, and addition; do you want some outdated methods like long division, compound addition, and taking cube roots by hand; or do you want to learn about prime numbers, congruence, diophantine equations, and proving number facts? Most calculus books have some proofs you can read one with particular emphasis on proofs if you like.

lurflurf said:
Are you particularly interested in mathematics or just looking for the basics? For example often a student interested in mathematics will like a trigonometry book with spherical trigonometry, proofs, and some challenging problems for a review.

I'm from the UK so I'm actually doing my degree in Mathematics (we usually just do one subject, rather than the major/minor 'mixed course' US system). What you mention above sounds like the sort of thing I'm after. I want to review what I already know, but with an emphasis on proof.

Euclid's elements (Dover books) is a must have if you are interested in the subject. To get a passing grade, get whatever they are teaching.

The Four Pillars of Geometry

by John Stillwell

For books that cover a good amount of different subjects:

Principles of Mathematics - Allendoerfer and Oakley
Basic Mathematics - Lang

For geometry in particular:

Kiselev's Geometry (Books 1 and 2)
AoPS Geometry
Jacobs Geometry (1st Edition)
Euclid's Elements

read the Elements by Euclid it will transform you

Kinhew93 said:
Hi

I'm starting university in September and wanted to consolidate my current knowledge.

I got hold of a nice textbook called 'foundation mathematics' which covers algebra to fairly basic calculus, but was looking for a good one on geometry.

Can anyone recommend any decent books (or websites) that covers simple mathematics (geometry, algebra, trig, beginning calculus, arithmetic, etc) quite rigorously?

You can use the college algebra class at udacity.com
For calculus you can use Mit Course Ware.
Use Khan academy For trigonometry and Geometry.

What is the full name and the author of the book that you used?

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of studying geometry before starting university?

Studying geometry before university is important because it is a fundamental branch of mathematics and provides a strong foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for success in university courses.

2. Which geometry books are recommended for preparing for university?

Some commonly recommended geometry books for university preparation include "Euclid's Elements" by Euclid, "Geometry" by David A. Brannan, "Geometry: A Comprehensive Course" by Dan Pedoe, and "Geometry: A High School Course" by S. Lang and G. Murrow.

3. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of geometry before starting university?

While it is not always necessary to have prior knowledge of geometry before starting university, it can greatly benefit students in their studies. It can also save time and help students feel more confident in their math skills.

4. How can I best prepare for university-level geometry?

To prepare for university-level geometry, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic geometric concepts such as points, lines, angles, and shapes. Practice solving problems and proofs, and familiarize yourself with the recommended books and resources. It may also be helpful to work with a tutor or attend review courses.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can aid in preparing for university-level geometry?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools that can aid in preparing for university-level geometry. Some examples include Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and GeometryCoach.com. These resources offer practice problems, tutorials, and interactive tools to help students improve their geometry skills.