Geometry: vector equation of a plane

In summary, the vector equation of a plane is a mathematical representation of the relationship between points on a plane using vectors. It can be written in the form <em>r</em> = <em>r</em><sub>0</sub> + <em>s</em><em>a</em> + <em>t</em><em>b</em>, where <em>r</em> is a position vector, <em>r</em><sub>0</sub> is a point on the plane, and <em>a</em> and <em>b</em> are direction vectors. To find the vector equation of a plane, a point on the plane and two non-parallel vectors must be known. The direction
Kate2010

Homework Statement

A plane contains non-collinear points A,B,C with position vectors a,b,c with respect to O. If s is the position vector of a point P, in the plane, with respect to O, show that it may be written as s = ua + vb + wc where u+v+w=1 (I think I have done this). If OP is perpendicular to the plane show

u = n.(bxc)/|n|2

v= n.(cxa)/|n|2

w= n.(axb)/|n|2

where n= bxc + cxa + axb, . is for the scalar product, x is for the vector product

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that n is normal to the plane. In an earlier part of the question I was asked to find u,v and w in terms of s,a,b,c. I found, for example, that u= [(b-c)x(s-c)]/[(b-c)x(a-c)], working from s= c + u(a-c) + v(b-c). I'm not even sure if this part is correct. Any advice on what to do would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org

I have reviewed your work and it seems like you have made some progress in solving the problem. To find u, v, and w in terms of s, a, b, and c, we can start by setting up the equation s = ua + vb + wc and solving for u, v, and w.

To find u, we can take the dot product of both sides of the equation with vector (a-c). This gives us:

(a-c)•s = (a-c)•(ua + vb + wc)

Expanding the dot product on the left side, we get:

(a•s)-(c•s) = u(a•a) + v(a•b) + w(a•c) - u(c•a) - v(c•b) - w(c•c)

Since we know that u + v + w = 1, we can substitute this into the equation to get:

(a•s)-(c•s) = (a•a) - (c•c) + (a•b - c•b)v + (a•c - c•a)w

Similarly, we can find expressions for v and w by taking the dot product with vectors (b-c) and (c-a) respectively. This gives us:

(b•s)-(c•s) = (b•b) - (c•c) + (b•a - c•a)u + (b•c - c•b)w

(c•s)-(a•s) = (c•c) - (a•a) + (c•b - a•b)u + (c•a - a•c)v

We now have a system of three equations with three unknowns (u, v, and w). We can solve for these unknowns using any appropriate method (substitution, elimination, etc.). Once we have found the values for u, v, and w, we can substitute them back into the original equation s = ua + vb + wc to get the desired expression.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work with your mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills!

1. What is a vector equation of a plane?

A vector equation of a plane is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between points on a plane using vectors. It is typically written in the form r = r0 + sa + tb, where r is a position vector, r0 is a point on the plane, a and b are direction vectors, and s and t are scalar parameters.

2. How do you find the vector equation of a plane?

To find the vector equation of a plane, you will need to have a point on the plane and two non-parallel vectors that lie on the plane. You can then use the formula r = r0 + sa + tb to write the vector equation of the plane, where r is the position vector, r0 is the given point, and a and b are the direction vectors.

3. How is the vector equation of a plane different from the parametric equation of a plane?

The vector equation of a plane and the parametric equation of a plane are two different ways of representing the same relationship between points on a plane. The main difference is that the vector equation uses vectors and scalar parameters, while the parametric equation uses Cartesian coordinates.

4. What is the significance of the direction vectors in a vector equation of a plane?

The direction vectors in a vector equation of a plane represent the orientation and magnitude of the plane in three-dimensional space. They determine the slope and direction of the plane, and can be used to calculate the angle between the plane and other planes or lines in the space.

5. Are there any limitations to using a vector equation of a plane?

One limitation of using a vector equation of a plane is that it only works for flat planes in three-dimensional space. It cannot be used to represent curved surfaces or planes in higher dimensions. Additionally, finding the direction vectors required for the equation may be difficult or impossible in certain situations, making it difficult to use this method to describe a plane.