1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry: What Theorem Is This?

1. Nov 18, 2003 #1
    Hello,

I cannot remember what the theorem is in which the following happens:

Given two lines l and m which intersect each other, let H be the point of intersection.

Let A and B be points on the line l such that AHB are colinear. And let C and D be points on the line m such that CHD are colinear.

Now what is the theorem/lemma/corollary which states that when two such lines intersect in such a way that

angle AHC = angle BHD

and

angle AHD = angle BHC ?

I need to quote it for a proof that I am doing. I can't remember for my life. And I can't seem to find it in my notes/text. It's not a big problem, I would just like to quote it properly.

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You also need A*H*B and C*H*D (H is between A and B, and H is between C and D). The theorem is called the vertical angles theorem.

4. Nov 18, 2003 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

vertical angles

Don't know if it has a catchy name. How about the "vertical angles are equal" theorem? (The angles you mentioned are called vertical angles.)

edit: beaten again!

5. Nov 18, 2003 #4
    Thanks Hurkyl and Doc Al. By the way,

Isn't that implied with the notation AHB and CHD and stating that they are colinear on their respective lines l and m?

Cheers.

6. Nov 18, 2003 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't seen such notation used before, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me that some would use it. As long as your teacher knows what it means. :smile:

7. Nov 18, 2003 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, once you have said "Let A and B be points on the line l" and said that H is the point where the two lines intersect, it is not necessary to say (again) that they are "collinear". I don't believe that just saying "AHB are collinear" is a standard way of saying that H is between A and B.

8. Nov 19, 2003 #7
    I think I see what you mean.

Would simply stating

Given two lines l and m which intersect each other, let H be the point of intersection.

Let AHB be points on the line l and let CHD be points on the line m.

have been adequate then?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?