Tips for Enjoying Geometry Despite Disinterest

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is struggling to find interest in geometry and is seeking tips. They mention having a good grasp on math and finding geometry tedious. Another person suggests a book that sparked their interest in Euclidean geometry and provides a link to an ebook for a refresher. They also mention the benefits of studying geometry in high school for understanding other math concepts. Ultimately, whether one enjoys geometry is a personal preference.
shadowboy13
I simply cannot get interested in geometry, but i realize it's an adequate skill to have, does anyone have any tips for me?

It's also not a matter of mathematical skill since I'm still in the 10th grade and am already capable of doing S.A.T level 5 problems, i just find them a nuisance to deal with.

Sorry for what appears to be a semi bragging topic, but i just wanted to condense my question into a semi readable format without there being walls of text.

All help is appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Something like High School geometry? Yeah, I found that incredibly boring too. Maybe it's the way I was taught. It was all very nonrigorous and vague. And the textbooks didn't help me appreciate it either.

Now that I know more mathematics, I'm actually pretty interested in Euclidean geometry. A nice book is Hartshorne's "Euclid and Beyond". It's not suitable for high school, but it got me interested.

It sounds like you just need a refresher, a compactified review of all the relevant facts. If so, here is an ebook that I think is particularly intuitive. Hover over the "Ebook - free" button to download it.

Geometry as a formal course is not usually how you use it either academically or in the real world; but Geometry is still good for your mathematical learning. You learn most of the common geometric ideas which you will use in your Basic Math, Arithmetic, and Algebra 1. Studying Geometry in high school will help you understand some of that stuff, especially the common Geometry, more clearly. You also find brief, very basic introductions to Cartesian Coordinate Geometry, Trigonometry, Vectors, and patterns. Also the Geometry course includes learning to prove properties and relationships. When you later study these in your other courses, at least you have some understanding of them to start.

What else to say? Either you enjoy it or you do not. If you take the opportunity to study it, then doing this will be good for you.

I completely understand that not everyone may find geometry interesting. However, I want to assure you that it is a valuable skill to have, not just for the SATs, but also in many real-world applications. Here are a few tips that may help you enjoy geometry more:

1. Find the practical applications: Geometry is not just about solving equations and drawing shapes. It has many practical applications in fields like engineering, architecture, and even art. Try to find examples of how geometry is used in these fields and how it can be applied in real-life situations.

2. Make it relatable: Sometimes, the abstract concepts in geometry can be hard to grasp. Try to relate them to something you already know or are interested in. For example, you can use sports to understand angles and trajectories, or music to understand patterns and symmetry.

3. Visualize it: Geometry is a visual subject, so try to use diagrams and pictures to understand the concepts. This can make it more interesting and easier to understand.

4. Make it a game: You can turn geometry into a game by challenging yourself to solve problems in a certain amount of time or by competing with friends. This can make it more fun and engaging.

5. Seek help: If you are struggling with a particular concept or problem, don't hesitate to seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate. Sometimes, having someone explain it to you in a different way can make all the difference.

Remember, geometry may not be your favorite subject, but it is a valuable skill to have. By finding ways to make it more enjoyable and relatable, you may discover a newfound appreciation for it. Best of luck!

What is the importance of enjoying geometry?

Geometry is a fundamental branch of mathematics that is used in many fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. By enjoying geometry, individuals can develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in everyday life.

How can I improve my interest in geometry?

One way to improve interest in geometry is to relate it to real-life situations. This can help make the subject more practical and relatable. Another approach is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and practice regularly.

Are there any resources available to help me enjoy geometry?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as online tutorials, videos, and interactive games, that can make learning geometry more enjoyable. Additionally, seeking help from a math tutor or joining a study group can also make the learning process more engaging.

What are some tips for staying motivated while learning geometry?

One tip is to set achievable goals and reward yourself when you reach them. It's also helpful to take breaks and switch up study methods to prevent burnout. Additionally, finding a study partner or joining a study group can provide motivation and accountability.

How can I apply geometry to my daily life?

Geometry can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the area and perimeter of a room for home renovation or using geometric principles to plan a garden layout. It can also help in understanding maps, navigation, and budgeting. By finding practical applications for geometry, it can become more enjoyable and relatable.