Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geophysical Dynamics

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    Why does the planetary boundary layer velocity profile shows a sinusoidal variation with height?
    Reference: Fig:14.10 Page 576 Fluid Mechanics - Kundu and Cohen 2nd edition

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see any mention of sinusoidal variation with height in the text ? Perhaps you have misinterpreted what is shown in fig 4.10 (b) ?

I think that the general topic is explained quite well by the author .

Please post new questions if you have any specific problems .

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. May 4, 2017 #3
    Thanks Nidum for your reply. I know that the general topic is explained quite well in the text but the author has presented the boundary layer velocity profile in the figure without explaining why there is an undulation of the velocity profile with height. You won't find such undulations in the general boundary layer velocity profiles on a flat plate.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. May 5, 2017 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

6. May 6, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

interesting article, thanks :smile:

I don't have access to that article/book ... it would be good for you to copy and paste the section or if you cannot, scan it or at bare minimum type out the paragraph or two that you are referring to, so that we are all on the same page

As a result, I have no idea which boundary you are referring to ??
    Moho ?, upper/lower mantle ?, mantle/outer core ?

assuming you are referring to one of my listed ones, and probably the Moho boundary,

Why would you expect to ? the earth isn't flat and nor are the layers and their boundaries

Dave

7. May 6, 2017 #6

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

8. May 7, 2017 #7
    Thank you all for showing your keen interest in answering the question I've posed. Davenn I am reffering to the Ekman boundary layer profile that you have in your lecture notes on page number 24 figure15 a.

9. May 8, 2017 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ohhh, we are going up, not down, I guessed that wrong .... will do some reading :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted