1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geophysical Fluid Dynamics

1. Apr 15, 2009 #1
    Heya , sorry but could someone check what I've done is right ? The remainder of the question relies on these answers :S

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We consider a homogeneous fluid in a sphere of radius r0 = 1 in the limit of kinematic viscosity v = 0 which is rotating uniformly about its axis with a constant angular velocity.

We shall use cylindrical coordinates (s;[tex]\phi[/tex] ; z) with the corresponding unit vectors ([tex]\hat{s}[/tex]; [tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex]; [tex]\hat{z}[/tex]), with [tex]\hat{z}[/tex] being parallel to the axis of rotation.

The small-amplitude fluid motion in a rotating reference of frame is governed by the linear dimensionless vector equations

[tex]\frac{\delta \textbf{u}}{\delta t}[/tex] + 2[tex]\hat{ \textbf{z}}[/tex] x [tex]\textbf{u}[/tex] = -[tex]\nabla[/tex]p; (1)
    AND

[tex]\nabla[/tex] . [tex]\textbf{u}[/tex] = 0; (2)

subject to the condition of vanishing normal flow
    [tex]\hat{\textbf{r}}[/tex] . [tex]\textbf{u}[/tex] = 0 at r = 1: (3)

Let [tex]\textbf{u}[/tex]([tex]\textbf{x}[/tex], t) = [tex]\textbf{u}[/tex](s, z)[tex]e^{i(\phi + t )}[/tex]. (4)

Write down the four equations by projecting the equations (1) and (2) onto cylindrical coordinates.

2. Relevant equations

They are above

3. The attempt at a solution

So my attempt at this is ,

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    Using (1) , I find out [tex]\frac{\delta \textbf{u}}{\delta t}[/tex] which I get to be [tex]it\textbf{u}[/tex] from (4) so plugging this into (1) gives us three equations of the 4

itus + 2[tex]\hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex] x [tex]u_{s}[/tex] = - [tex]\frac{\delta p}{\delta s}[/tex]

itu[tex]\phi[/tex] + 2[tex]\hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex] x [tex]u_{\phi}[/tex] = - [tex]\frac{\delta p}{\delta \phi}[/tex]

ituz + 2[tex]\hat{\textbf{z}}[/tex] x [tex]u_{z}[/tex] = - [tex]\frac{\delta p}{\delta z}[/tex]

and then using equation (2) the last equation of the 4 is

[tex]\frac{\delta u_{s}}{\delta s}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\delta u_{\phi}}{\delta \phi}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{\delta u_{z}}{\delta z}[/tex] = 0

I think I probably have gone wrong somewhere tho , would someone please check to see what I'm doing is correct please ?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. Apr 24, 2009 #3
    ah nm this is wrong , seen my mistake

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook