1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geophysicist as Patent Lawyer

1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    How does being a geophysicist or geophysical engineer in particular tie into becoming a patent law? How could geophysics be useful when doing patents?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I can see "gee-whiz" as a real edge in water law. "Patent law?" You averse to working with Civil Engineering and construction firms? "New improved structural anchors/footings," that kind of thing? Well casing techniques. Architectural designs, methods for retrofitting of unreinforced masonry. The "American Dream" is to sue someone and retire, and there have to be plenty of opportunities regarding "due diligence" and acts of "Geophysics."

4. Jan 15, 2015 #3
    Thanks and yes, I meant "patent lawyer".

5. Jan 15, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Mine safety equipment (regarding actual material handling and stabilization problems) --- actually you might have more opportunities than you'll know how to handle.

6. Jan 16, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The second thread in this form is "Anyone considering a career as a patent attorney?" It's worth reading.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook