Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

George Best

1. Nov 26, 2005 #1

Gold Member

I can't say i am an avid football fan, but george was an icon and will be missed,
    he was a fool frittering his life away on booze, but that can happen to any one,
    it is a pity his money did not bring him happines.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2
    He was so good looking and talented in his prime days. But your right Wolram, most of his life was wasted. He could of done so much more with it all.
  4. Nov 27, 2005 #3
    Easily in the running for the best Irish Footballer of all time. He was well loved, just loved the sauce a little too much. Can't say that I have kept up on his life after he let the game, but I knew things weren't going great for him. Too bad about him. I was trying to find some lyrics online for a song about Best called "Alcoholic Heroes"- good tribute tune.
  5. Nov 27, 2005 #4
    yeh.. Footballing legend.. will be missed :frown:

On a positive note Looks like Kean will be moving to Celtic tho :smile:
  6. Nov 27, 2005 #5
    He was easily the best Irish football player, and even the great pele beleived that george best was the best player in the world.
  7. Nov 27, 2005 #6
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

George Best
  8. Nov 27, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Am I the only one feeling some degree of "about bloody time"? Sure, it's sad that someone's died due to an illness which could have so easily been helped, and I feel for his family and friends and all, but this guy was given a fantastic chance with a new liver and blew it.

Let this be a lesson to you kids!
  9. Nov 27, 2005 #8

Gold Member

Ratzingers quote is all that can be said, yes he was stupid to waste his second
    chance, maybe someone else was more worthy of a new liver, i thought it strange at the time that doctors even considered him for a transplant, but fame
    and money seem to count in such matters.
    That does not take away from him what he was, a great sportsman of an era
    when football was more of a sport.
  10. Nov 28, 2005 #9
    George himself said, had he been born ugly you'd have never heard of Pele.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?