Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gerald Ford Dead At 93

1. Dec 26, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Gerald R. Ford, who picked up the pieces of Richard Nixon's scandal-shattered White House as the 38th and only unelected president in America's history, has died, his wife, Betty, said Tuesday. He was 93.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/27/politics/main2299458.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2006 #2
    I met him a few times, a very well spoken, likeable man. Those were some tuff times to be a president. Rest in peace.

4. Dec 27, 2006 #3

Astronuc

RIP President Ford.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6211407.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Ford

President Ford
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6684817
    Seen as Steady Hand in a Time of Uncertainty

I would agree with that assessment.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  5. Dec 27, 2006 #4
    Wasn't LBJ an unelected President?

I never met President Ford so I can't say much about him. Living to 93 is something else. The Prez is just now getting down with the Soul Master, James Brown, wherever they be at!

6. Dec 27, 2006 #5

Astronuc

LBJ was elected in 1964, when he defeated Barry Goldwater. Famous commercial of an atomic bomb explosion was involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_Johnson#1964_Presidential_election

7. Dec 27, 2006 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both the President and Vice-President are elected on the same ticket. A vote for Bush as President is a vote for Cheney as Vice-President ..... and as presidential successor to Bush should the need arise.

That was actually an early change. Originally, whoever finished second in the Presidential election became Vice-President. Every president except Ford was elected as President or as Vice-President.

Nixon and Spiro Agnew were elected President and Vice-President in 1972. Agnew had to resign due to a scandal unrelated to Watergate, so Ford was nominated as a replacement for Agnew by Nixon and then approved by the Senate.

(Ford is one of only two unelected Vice-Presidents. Nelson Rockefeller became Ford's VP the same way Ford became Nixon's VP)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  8. Dec 27, 2006 #7
    I bet Jimmy isn't feeling very optimistic today.

9. Dec 27, 2006 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"If you want to find Gerald Ford on a golf course, just look for the injured people" - Gerald Ford

10. Dec 27, 2006 #9

Astronuc

"I'm a Ford, not a Lincoln" - Gerald Ford :rofl: He did have a great sense of humor. Carter is still cruising.

11. Dec 27, 2006 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I remember being surprised that people were so upset about Ford pardoning Nixon. As far as I was concerned, Watergate was over as soon as Nixon resigned. Had there been an impeachment, removing him from office was the worst punishment they could have dealt out.

I think it was a little soon to pardon Nixon. Maybe Ford would have gotten a better response if people had a glimpse of what lay ahead if Nixon were prosecuted after his resignation. The process would have gone on for years and soon as people realized what lay ahead, they would have been a lot more receptive to a pardon.

I also wondered about the attitude of people that wanted Nixon prosecuted after he left office. It was almost as if getting Nixon out of office wasn't enough - there still might be a few people who believed Nixon was just being railroaded by Democrats and there were those who seemed to feel the issue couldn't be let to die until every single person in the United States proclaimed Nixon a criminal.

Those people might have been right. I felt that ten years later you weren't going to find many people defending Nixon. Twenty-four years later, you probably couldn't find anyone with any passion left about Watergate (except for Pat Buchanon, but he was part of the Nixon administration). Yet how else can you explain Clinton's impeachment?

About the only explanation I can think of is that the Clinton impeachment was a long overdue payback for what Democrats were blamed for doing to Nixon. I think people who live in DC and are that involved in politics may lose touch with the rest of the country just a little bit, because Republicans seemed shocked to find that most of the country thought the Clinton impeachment was one of the most absurd things they'd ever seen Washington do.

I thought Ford was a solid person to finish out Nixon's term, but he never should have run for re-election. Part of putting Watergate to rest would be for Nixon's replacement to bow out gracefully. I think if a more moderate candidate than Reagan would have run for nomination, Ford would have stayed out of the race. At that time, the Republican Party was much more moderate and Reagan was part of the ultra-conservative fringe that worried Republicans almost as much they worried Democrats.

12. Dec 27, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But this would be just the thing that Ford wanted to avoid. And he stood by his conviction. So it took the people (and the majority of the Democratic party) over a decade to lose the emotional flotsam that was clogging their drai...err brains, and assess the decision objectively. But that's expected of people (and the majority of the Democratic party). Eventually, they did come to their senses and acknowledge the value of Ford's decision. I think that even in the people's minds, Ford now gains a great deal of respect for this. And I'm sure Ford would much rather have this genuine, albeit delayed recognition than the temporary appeasement of masses that the alternative would have led to.

And how else would you explain the 2 presidential historians in the '96 Schlesinger Poll that gave Nixon a "near great" rating? (thanks, Jim, for the link). Oh, maybe there's a better explanation for that...I'm just being cynical.

13. Dec 28, 2006 #12

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Interesting to compare to a Federalist Society/Wall Street Journal poll nearly 10 years later. Presidential rankings

Part of the difference may be the 2005 poll tried to balance conservative and liberal scholars, but part may also be time.

Wilson's League of Nations didn't work out, but was seen as the seed towards the United Nations. The promise of the United Nations doesn't seem nearly as strong as it did 10 years ago.

Likewise, Eisenhower keeps moving up the ranks. Some economists felt the economic problems of the seventies were caused by Eisenhower in the fifties. Thirty years later, the pain of paying for Eisenhower's decisions seems less than the benefits.

Considering every recent Republican scores better in the 2005 poll and every recent Democrat scores worse in the 2005 poll, the difference in political leanings of those polled is probably the biggest difference, though - in the 2005 poll, Bush ranked 6th best in history by Republican leaning responders and 6th worst by Democratic leaning responders.

(When Polk wound up as a compromise candidate for Democrats, the Whigs response was "Who is James K Polk?" At least that question has lasted.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  14. Dec 28, 2006 #13
    As luck would have it, I will be vacationing in DC this weekend. It will be tough to get around with all the people coming to pay their last respects. I for one find no joy in this death.

15. Dec 28, 2006 #14
    Thank you BobG and Astronuc.

LBJ was head and shoulders above anything currently in the office. A true John Wayne figure. His morning shower was automatically set at 53˚F to keep him spry first thing.

Mr. Ford had an assassination attempt on him. Who or what was behind that?

Did anyone else see Edward's awkward announcement about running for office? His jeans were way too clean and his shirt cuffs were rolled up like some kind of Paul Revere get up!

16. Dec 28, 2006 #15

Astronuc

That was Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynette_"Squeaky"_Fromme#Assassination_attempt

We started a thread on Presidential Candidate 2008. Edward's is too clean cut - I'd like to see someone with long hair and a beard, and wearing denim jeans and a shirt with rolled-up sleeves run for president. :rofl:

17. Dec 28, 2006 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

- Gerald Ford
    http://ufos.about.com/b/a/256836.htm
    http://www.presidentialufo.com/ufotalk.htm

18. Dec 28, 2006 #17
    Willie Nelson?

19. Dec 29, 2006 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A bit of info about the Nixon pardon that I was completely unaware of:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/29/w...&en=142138c3f9184735&ei=5094&partner=homepage

20. Dec 29, 2006 #19
  21. Dec 29, 2006 #20
    Here's an interesting point Noonan missed that only just ocurred to me now:

The reason Ford was the right man for the pardon (which was a good move, sorry) is because he was never elected.

She mentions how utterly lacking in spite and bile he was. Here's her description:
    No one like that could successfully prosecute a presidential campaign. Success in a general election (let alone a primary) requires a great deal of willingness to hit back. Even those candidates who elect not to hit back all the time must demonstrate their willingness at other times.

I admit he did far better than expected in the 1976 campaign, but ultimately he did not prevail.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?