1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gerard 't Hooft's guide on becoming a good theoretical phycisist, anyone using it?

1. Aug 30, 2012 #1
    Hey,
    I came across (http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html) in which Gerard 't Hooft has written a guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist and was wondering if anyone is using it, and if so d'you like it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2012 #2
    Re: Gerard 't Hooft's guide on becoming a good theoretical phycisist, anyone using it

I used it a little and it worked okay.
    I'd use the books from the book list at the end over the lecture notes given in the main list though.
    AND make sure you have some kind of background in basic f=ma type physics and some basic calulus.

4. Aug 30, 2012 #3
    Re: Gerard 't Hooft's guide on becoming a good theoretical phycisist, anyone using it

I don't really see it as a guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist. That is a very misleading statement, it is more of a list of topics to touch if you were independently learning.

5. Sep 1, 2012 #4

I think the reason he titled it 'how to become a good theoretical physicist' is to constrast his 'how to become a bad theoretical physicist page' http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theoristbad.html

6. Sep 2, 2012 #5

Oh that makes sense. There are people out there who demand that we listen to their crackpot statements and that it is cult like to not listen to people outside of their field. But they don't it math is the language of physics, so if your speaking english the whole time then your speaking bullsh--. T'hooft's page highlights that and shows that there are many years down the path to actually start speaking physics and mathematics.

7. Sep 7, 2012 #6

Yes, that seems to make sense. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook