Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

German Jazz quartet was playing

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    I just came back from this club where this German Jazz quartet was playing. Apparently theyre on a world tour, and Delhi was one of their stops. I kinda liked it, they were really good, and technically, they were off the charts (their lead guitarist was this lady who was absolutely brilliant), the music was almost sublime though. Like, there was this blues band which came to the same place a week ago and they were insane, I mean, they had the whole club up in an uproar, and they were technically just as good or better. I dont have too much experience with Jazz, at most I've listened to Dave Matthews and a little bit of Miles Davis and John Coltrane, but is Jazz generally subtle or was this an exception to the rule? I loved it though. Its an amazing experience just listening to a band that good.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    Re: Jazz

If there is one good thing about jazz, you can be pretty sure that jazz musicians are not kidding about their technics. Jazz is a challenging style for instrumentalists.

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Some jazz is quite wild, and some is really sweet - it's a very wide-open genre. I was never heavily into jazz, but Larry Coryell's Fairyland (live album) saw plenty of play-time when I was in college. Early John McLaughlin was really good, too. When I went to see him with his new band (Mahavishnu Orchestra) as they started their first US tour, I was blown away. Really fiery blistering leads and LOUD! I was expecting the quieter laid-back McLaughlin, so when the Byrds came out first, then the much louder Blue Oyster Cult, I was disappointed because my ears were ringing. I needn't have worried - there was a reason that they had McLaughlin's band come on last - extreme volume. He was playing a Les Paul plugged straight into a Twin Reverb and I swear the volume knob was was up on "10". The amp was probably loaded with very efficient JBLs or Altec-Lansings. I have never heard a Twin put out that kind of volume before or since.

If you want smooth laid-back jazz Dave Brubeck's stuff from the '60s is quite nice. I saw him and his quartet in concert with Gerry Mulligan on sax - a VERY enjoyable concert.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  5. Feb 14, 2009 #4

I thought you need to be a bit laid back for jazz. You cant pay too much attention to any one instrument or you lose the rest of it. I automatically separate each instruments sound and try to figure out who's playing what, but that kinda lost the feeling of the piece as a whole. On the contrary, Blues is a lot simpler and easier to 'get'.

And yeah, instrumentally, I thought I was in love with that lady! The leads she was playing! She tore through the guitar like it was nothing at all. It opened a whole new thought process as far as 'thinking of leads' is concerned. The first time that happened to me was when I was listening to 'Blue Sky', 'Dreams' and 'Sweet Melissa' by the Allman Brothers. They do amazing stuff with their leads too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. Feb 14, 2009 #5

Jazz has 3 distinct places in my life.

1.) Played softly in the background when I'm lost in a project
    2.) Played loud in the car when I have a long drive
    3.) At a club when my wife and I want to really get away and relax

7. Feb 14, 2009 #6

Im leaning towards more mellow jazz, any suggestions (Ive already downloaded a tonne of Dave Brubeck)?

8. Feb 14, 2009 #7

turbo

Gold Member

One thing you will notice about the Allman Brothers is that their songs were set up so you can play leads using both major (for Duane's slide tuning) and minor scales. Try it by playing along with some of their early stuff. Once you get used to transitioning between leads that way, you can throw that into your live performances.

9. Feb 14, 2009 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love, love jazz. I listen to it in my lab and in my office at work...it drowns out the sports talk radio that my coworkers have droning on all day :yuck:.

http://www.kplu.org/embed_windows32_kplu.html"
    They play a very wide variety of jazz...some of it I don't like so much but it's still better than sports talk.

Listen to that for a while, chaos, and you'll get an idea of what kind of artists you like. But you're already onto my all-time fave, Dave Brubeck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Feb 14, 2009 #9

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I swing dance, so I like hot jazz from the 20's and 30's. Stuff that grabs you and makes you want to move. It was after the swing era that jazz mellowed out and become more "cerebral". Originally it was dance music.

11. Feb 15, 2009 #10

Thats a really great station lisab! Amazing stuff! The brass players in general are brilliant. I read somewhere that wind instrument musicians are naturally better at phrasing. :tongue: I think Im hooked.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  12. Feb 16, 2009 #11

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, you'll love it if you haven't heard it already.

13. Feb 16, 2009 #12

Meh, Jazz is just a perversion of classical music. Takes no tallent.

14. Feb 16, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Jazz (like most blues) is a loose free-form kind of performance that can change with the wind. If you think that you can equate improvisational music with "classical", you are definitely not a musician, or at least not an even marginally accomplished one. I attended college with a violinist from Thailand that was scary-good and though he spent summer internships playing with orchestras in Europe, he spent time with me and my blues-addicted friends and liked to sit in on sessions. To say that such musicianship takes "no talent" is pretty ridiculous.

15. Feb 16, 2009 #14

You say that about DJs all the time. Now do you see how ridiculous your statements are?

You come off as arrogant and ignorant when you say "oh, Im sure I could be better than any DJ out there because I played in a band at a bar back in the day", yet you have never touched a turn table...... :rolleyes:

Stop acting like you're Mozart. Jeeessssssh, turbo. Sorry, you needed a reality check.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  16. Feb 16, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

You are apparently still ticked off because I said that DJs are not musicians. They are dime-a-dozen performance artists that steal the artistic output of real musicians, repackage it and hype it. You can get a DJ to supply music for a function for a fraction of what a real decent band would cost you, and you'll get a fraction of real music. You get what you pay for.

17. Feb 16, 2009 #16

Could you tell me, specifically, where they stole this techno beat from:

You say they are a dime a dozen. You don't think local bar bands like yours isnt a dime a dozen? I'd love to take you for a stroll to a bar to see how many 'live bands' are out there. I can find you plenty of them too. You have no idea what a good DJ can do, which shows how little you understand music other than what you play -jazz. You shouldn't talk about any other genre of music. Just because you don't happen to like it, doesn't mean its easy, or that it isn't music.

You're making the kind of statements someone would make when they see this:

mondrian.jpg

DAH, I CAN PAINT THAT TOO DAHHHH...it's just a bunch of lines.

Sorry, no.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  18. Feb 16, 2009 #17

What is there to steal? Half of the song is switching between three notes over a thumping bass. You can't steal three notes.

19. Feb 16, 2009 #18

The problem is that his notion of a DJ is that from the 80's where they sampled peoples music, a la Hip Hop. Yet he is totally obilivious to the various types of DJs out there today.

20. Feb 16, 2009 #19

turbo

Gold Member

The rants of the willfully ignorant do not impress me. Do not confuse the talents of real musicians with the ability of DJs to steal and re-package their music. These losers are not anywhere near on the same level as the musicians that they parisitize.

And as for the "bar bands" comment, when I was running the weekly blues-jam at a local tavern (a bit of step up from the typical bar-band talent) instructors and students from distant University of Maine music programs used to show up regularly to play with us. We had a blast, and many of the kids could not have performed with us (being under 21) without parental or academic supervision. I loved a lot of those kids and can't wait to see what they can do, and I applaud their parents/academic sponsors for bringing them to the jams. Why would an academic advisor in a music program spend time and money to bring kids to and open-mike jam 45 minutes or more away?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  21. Feb 16, 2009 #20

I thought the same thing when reading your comments about DJs.

Have you ever spun on a turn table before? You can say for a fact that it's not an instrument? Talk about willfully ignorant.

What does this colorful story have to do with with DJs? You played in a rinky dink tavern. I get that.

Turbo, for someone that claims to love music, you sure don't know much about it, and worse you have false notions about what you don't understand.

I'll tell you what. Master the art of DJ'ing (since you think its so easy). When you become one of the top DJs and say how easy it was for you, then I'll respect your view. Otherwise thinking 'its not an instrument', 'they dont play music', 'I could be the best DJ if I wanted to', are laughable statements.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook