German Jazz quartet was playing

turbo

Gold Member
Re: Jazz

What kind of nonsense is this, turbo. My 'best DJ friends', are not the best DJs in the world - and I never claimed they were. Your who can perform on whose equipment means jack squat. Unless YOU can perform BETTER than the best DJs in the world (as you claimed), you're talking out of your tooshey. You said, "I can play better than any of those DJs if I wanted to". The answer is NO YOU CANT. So instead of admitting it and respecting the work of fellow musicians, you cry oh they arent musicians. They just steal peoples music. How pathetic, turbo. Do you hear DJs saying, oh Jazz artists just bastardize classical music with all that random noise no one wants to hear. They work the classical artists out of a job! No, at least DJs show some respect. Why can't you do the same?
I never said that your DJ friends are the best in the world, and I certainly wouldn't claim that I am the best guitarist in the world. I can state with absolute certainty that with very minimal time, I can do a better job as a DJ than any DJ can do as a guitarist. If you claim otherwise, I suggest that you ask them how they think that they would fare.

DJs are not musicians. To be a musician, you have to actually learn how to play an instrument, master it, and learn how to apply that knowledge to work with others and make a finished product. It is not enough to know how to make a few chords or to play a lead or two - if you are to perform live and be good at it, you have to have a large repertoire of moves and be able to execute them seamlessly.

I see that you have gone back to the position that you previously said you didn't really mean (bolded) that shows you don't really have a clue about performing arts. Playing improvisational music is demanding, and it is very apparent that you have never done so, nor do you have an informed viewpoint on it. Jazz is not a perversion of classical music, any more than rock or blues are. Music is evolutionary, and has to be viewed as such. You are a consumer, not a producer, and have a (conveniently) narrow perspective.

BTW, I know people who play classical music, including a classmate from college who spent his summers touring Europe and sitting in as a guest violinist in some of the finest orchestras. He didn't think jazz was noise, and he used to sit in with me and my friends when we played blues/rock/whatever. Your very narrow definitions of good/bad amount to nothing more than straw-man arguments, in which you can paint something in a negative light and then diss it. I played classical music, traditional music, marches, etc in HS, and liked all of it. The most fun I had in that period was playing tight, but improvisational music along the lines of the Tijuana Brass - another trumpet player, a baritone and tuba player wanted to do some ensemble work, and we worked up a nice set of tunes.

I can state with absolute certainty that with very minimal time, I can do a better job as a DJ than any DJ can do as a guitarist.
Ok, so what? You can get good at it quickly. You wont be great at it.

If you claim otherwise, I suggest that you ask them how they think that they would fare.
I never claimed jack squat about playing a guitar, in fact, I don't care about playing a Guitar. Do you understand?

DJs are not musicians. To be a musician, you have to actually learn how to play an instrument, master it, and learn how to apply that knowledge to work with others and make a finished product. It is not enough to know how to make a few chords or to play a lead or two - if you are to perform live and be good at it, you have to have a large repertoire of moves and be able to execute them seamlessly.
You are being willingly ignorant here. A DJ is not a radio. A RADIO would be something where the INPUT is the same as the OUTPUT.

A musician makes music. The sounds that go into the turn table are NOT the same sounds that come OUT of the turn table. There is a 'function' that changes the sounds and makes something new out of them. That's creating music. You're too dense to understand this.

I see that you have gone back to the position that you previously said you didn't really mean (bolded) that shows you don't really have a clue about performing arts. Playing improvisational music is demanding, and it is very apparent that you have never done so, nor do you have an informed viewpoint on it. Jazz is not a perversion of classical music, any more than rock or blues are. Music is evolutionary, and has to be viewed as such. You are a consumer, not a producer, and have a (conveniently) narrow perspective.
You're right. And DJ'ing is well established in the cannon of music for nearly 30 years now. Sorry, but you turbo-1 have little to no say in this matter. You can blindly and ignorantly think it's not making music, but the rest of the world does not hold that view. Have fun thinking otherwise - you're on your own.

BTW, I know people who play classical music, including a classmate from college who spent his summers touring Europe and sitting in as a guest violinist in some of the finest orchestras. He didn't think jazz was noise, and he used to sit in with me and my friends when we played blues/rock/whatever. Your very narrow definitions of good/bad amount to nothing more than straw-man arguments, in which you can paint something in a negative light and then diss it. I played classical music, traditional music, marches, etc in HS, and liked all of it. The most fun I had in that period was playing tight, but improvisational music along the lines of the Tijuana Brass - another trumpet player, a baritone and tuba player wanted to do some ensemble work, and we worked up a nice set of tunes.
I really don't care about these pointless stories anymore, please stop telling me then unless they are relevant.

You play in a small tavern for 40 years.
Your local high school teacher comes to that tavern.
Your friend tuned a guitar for a rock star.
You play live mic sessions.
Your friend in college plays jazz and classical.

Nothing to do with DJ'ing, but you insist on repeating these stories. You must think they qualify your views, they don't.

At this point were just going to go round and round in circles. I'm not going to waste any more posts, you're being a block head.

Last edited:

turbo

Gold Member

Cy, here's my suggestion. Why don't you quit aeronautical engineering and follow your passion. Enroll in Juilliard and sign up for all their DJ courses so you can become a pro. :devil: :tongue:

BWV

Well this disc is DJs making new music. DJ Cam's remix of In a Silent Way is brilliant

51zFjkhOSmL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1LNyyd0JXKM&feature=related[/youtube] [url]F9MjQgMSjIQ&feature=related[/youtube]