1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

German universities

1. Aug 10, 2005 #1
    A question to people from America: are any German universities known in America?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2005 #2
    My friend attends college in Belgium and talks about how inexpensive but good most european colleges are. That's all I've ever heard about European schools.

4. Aug 10, 2005 #3
    I think the only university I hear of constantly is Cambridge. This is sad since I am sure there must be other good schools in Europe. Oh well :rolleyes:

5. Aug 10, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Ja!

Universität Stuttgart

http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ueberblick/organisation/fakultaeten/index.en.html (auf Englisch) :biggrin:

http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ueberblick/organisation/fakultaeten/index.html

My department at the university (in US) where I did my nuclear engineering program had contacts with Stuttgart (20 years ago - possibly they still do?). We sent students there and we had students from their engineering program.

6. Aug 10, 2005 #5
    which college in Belgium ?

marlon

7. Aug 10, 2005 #6
    Isn't The Univ. of Heidelberg pretty top notch?

8. Aug 11, 2005 #7
    most European universities have at least the same level as the top US universities (depending on department ofcourse). Also, in Europe, the difference between the several universities ain't as big as in the US , where you can have Caltech and next to it, an university of which the educational level corresponds to our high school level.

That's one of the big (yet only) advantages of non-privatisation.

marlon

9. Aug 11, 2005 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A number of German universities participate in the academic "job markets" in the U.S. For an example see this announcement. This position requires EU "citizenship" (probably because it is funded by EU) but many other positiions don't have this requirement.

This is sorted by location and you can see that at least 4 German schools participated in the job market that year (2003).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  10. Aug 11, 2005 #9
    Most Americans can't even find Europe on the map and you ask about their knowledge of German uniwersities?

11. Aug 11, 2005 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I must admit that the only German university that I'm familiar with is IFW-Dresden. This is because Mark Golden was there for a few years. He and his group produced a series of excellent photoemission spectroscopy results. I think he has left Dresden for the University of Amsterdam.

Of course, University of Konstanz is now having a dubious reputation of being the place where Hendrik Schon received his Ph.D and also did a lot of the now-discredited research work while he was employed at Bell Labs. I believe the school has taken back his Ph.D. In any case, this was the unfortunate introduction (at least to me) to that german institution.

Zz.

12. Aug 11, 2005 #11
    Ja! Ich studierte Außenpolitik an der Universität zu Köln für ein Semester.

P.S. Verzeihen Sie mir, mein Deutsch ist sehr rostig.

13. Aug 14, 2005 #12
    hey marlon hes in Aelst

14. Aug 14, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've worked in collaboration with the Universites of Stuttgart and a bit with Dresden, but I'm not a USian...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?