German Universities: Known in America?

In summary, there are several German universities known in America, including Universität Stuttgart and University of Heidelberg. These universities have partnerships and collaborations with American universities and participate in academic job markets in the US. However, due to limited knowledge and exposure, many Americans may not be familiar with these universities. The reputation of German universities may also be affected by individual incidents, such as the case of Hendrik Schon at University of Konstanz.
silin
A question to people from America: are any German universities known in America?

Physics news on Phys.org
My friend attends college in Belgium and talks about how inexpensive but good most european colleges are. That's all I've ever heard about European schools.

I think the only university I hear of constantly is Cambridge. This is sad since I am sure there must be other good schools in Europe. Oh well :rolleyes:

silin said:
A question to people from America: are any German universities known in America?
Ja!

Universität Stuttgart

http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ueberblick/organisation/fakultaeten/index.en.html (auf Englisch) :biggrin:

http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ueberblick/organisation/fakultaeten/index.html

My department at the university (in US) where I did my nuclear engineering program had contacts with Stuttgart (20 years ago - possibly they still do?). We sent students there and we had students from their engineering program.

Learning Curve said:
My friend attends college in Belgium and talks about how inexpensive but good most european colleges are. That's all I've ever heard about European schools.

which college in Belgium ?

marlon

Isn't The Univ. of Heidelberg pretty top notch?

most European universities have at least the same level as the top US universities (depending on department ofcourse). Also, in Europe, the difference between the several universities ain't as big as in the US , where you can have Caltech and next to it, an university of which the educational level corresponds to our high school level.

That's one of the big (yet only) advantages of non-privatisation.

marlon

silin said:
A number of German universities participate in the academic "job markets" in the U.S. For an example see http://www.aeaweb.org/joe/0312d/html/joe133.html . This position requires EU "citizenship" (probably because it is funded by EU) but many other positiions don't have this requirement.

http://www.aeaweb.org/joe/0312d/html/index-loc.html#3 is sorted by location and you can see that at least 4 German schools participated in the job market that year (2003).

Last edited by a moderator:
silin said:

Most Americans can't even find Europe on the map and you ask about their knowledge of German uniwersities?

silin said:

I must admit that the only German university that I'm familiar with is IFW-Dresden. This is because Mark Golden was there for a few years. He and his group produced a series of excellent photoemission spectroscopy results. I think he has left Dresden for the University of Amsterdam.

Of course, University of Konstanz is now having a dubious reputation of being the place where Hendrik Schon received his Ph.D and also did a lot of the now-discredited research work while he was employed at Bell Labs. I believe the school has taken back his Ph.D. In any case, this was the unfortunate introduction (at least to me) to that german institution.

Zz.

Ja! Ich studierte Außenpolitik an der Universität zu Köln für ein Semester.

P.S. Verzeihen Sie mir, mein Deutsch ist sehr rostig.

hey marlon he's in Aelst

I've worked in collaboration with the Universites of Stuttgart and a bit with Dresden, but I'm not a USian...

1. What makes German universities stand out in America?

German universities are known for their high-quality education, innovative research opportunities, and affordable tuition fees. They also have a strong international reputation and offer a wide range of programs taught in English, making them attractive to American students.

2. How does the education system in German universities differ from that in America?

German universities follow a more traditional and structured approach to education, with a strong emphasis on theoretical knowledge and research. This is in contrast to the more practical and hands-on approach in American universities. Additionally, German universities are largely funded by the government, resulting in low tuition fees for students.

3. Are there any specific requirements for American students to apply to German universities?

American students are required to have a high school diploma and a good academic record. They may also need to take standardized tests such as the SAT or ACT. Additionally, some universities may require a certain level of proficiency in the German language, although many programs are taught in English.

4. Is it difficult for American students to adjust to the culture in German universities?

Adjusting to a new culture and environment can be challenging for any international student, but German universities have a welcoming and diverse community. Many universities also offer support services for international students to help them adjust to the new culture and make friends.

5. What are the job prospects for American students who graduate from German universities?

Graduates from German universities have a high employability rate, both in Germany and internationally. The education and research opportunities at German universities prepare students for a wide range of careers in various industries. Additionally, students can also take advantage of the post-study work visa to gain work experience in Germany after graduation.