German World Cup Official - Kiessling!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
World Cup official shot himself :frown:

Berlin's top World Cup official shot himself in the head just hours after the tournament ended and is now fighting for his life, police say. :surprised

Juergen Kiessling, 65, was rushed to hospital from his house in Reinickendorf, a suburb of Berlin, after a neighbour heard the shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5168890.stm

I am speechless. :frown:

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I can think of only one likely reason.

Was he the one who red-carded Zidane?

Obviously didn't enjoy the final match...

shmoe
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
neutrino said:
Was he the one who red-carded Zidane?
That was the Argentine ref Horacio Elizondo (he also sent of Rooney). Kiessling wasn't a referee.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3729633a1823,00.html [Broken] says Kiessling had "political" problems, but doesn't give much more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now there are two world cup mysteries.

neutrino said:
Now there are two world cup mysteries.
What's the first one?

Physics_wiz said:
What's the first one?
The thing Matterazzi said to Zidane. There are many stories flaoting around, but we haven't heard anything from the donkey's mouth, yet.

DM
Gokul43201 said:
I can think of only one likely reason.
:confused:

berkeman
Mentor
That really is unfortunate news. Just remember folks, there are *always* other alternatives. No matter how bad things may seem or may get, there are always alternatives to taking your own life.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
"Zidane is my hero and I have always admired him a lot."
said Materazzi! Interesting.

Materazzi denies any insults, Zizou insists Materazzi insulted his mother and sister.

Materazzi isn't denying any insults, he admitted to insulted Zidane but says it had nothing to do with his mother or terrorism.

berkeman
Mentor
Has anybody heard what language the insults were in? Is English the international language of pitch insults? Or I wonder if there was a bit of a language problem that made the insult sound like something else.... Nah, probably not.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
berkeman said:
Has anybody heard what language the insults were in? Is English the international language of pitch insults? Or I wonder if there was a bit of a language problem that made the insult sound like something else.... Nah, probably not.
Italian - Zidane speaks a good bit of Italian. He was with Juve for what, 5 years or so? If nothing else, he'd be familiar with all the curses.