Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Germany vs Costa Rica

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1
    2-1 early in the 20th minute, good game! CR will be crushed in the second half though.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2006 #2
    Its an awfully boring match here watching...

4. Jun 9, 2006 #3
    4:2 wasnt so boring.. lots of goals.. But whoever said DE have a chance were VERY wrong.. man they are leaky at the back, static and leaky!

5. Jun 9, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Frings goal was awesome!! Like a thunderbolt! Great contender for goal of the tournament

6. Jun 9, 2006 #5
    you see the forth from DE, it was better...

Hmmm I think the goalies where right to complain about that ball.. I hate to think what a good team will do with it

7. Jun 9, 2006 #6

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, I agree, the defence was leaky. I think Khan should be played in favour of Lehmann. He was awful, flapping at the shots.

8. Jun 9, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the one I'm talking about. Frings scored that from around 35 yards.

9. Jun 9, 2006 #8
    Lehmann is probably DE's best player, the back 4 were rubbish, they were flat and didnt apy any presure... all CR goals no goalkeeper could really do anything about to be honest

10. Jun 9, 2006 #9
    Ok I retract my statement after seeing the 4th goal.

11. Jun 9, 2006 #10
    yes the german defense was fairly weak considering CR was basicly playing with one forward. Germanys goals were amazing though.

12. Jun 9, 2006 #11

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not claiming that Germany's chances are all that great, but Brazil beat Costa Rica 5-2 in 2002, and we all know how Brazil did. It's a questionable comparison, but this an uncharacteristic German team.

Also, Ballack is a better defender than Borowski so his return to the team will help significantly, but probably not enough to win.

Considering how weak the group is, and that Poland is also defensively questionable, so, barring surprises, Germany is likely to win the group, and advance to the quarters.

Whether the fire-at-will offense can carry them futher remains to be seen.

13. Jun 9, 2006 #12
    I seriously doubt this, I think Germany will come third, they may score there way out of trouble, but I dont think you can do that at this level.

14. Jun 9, 2006 #13
    NooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!1111
    Actually, yes! At least I won this 1 point :)
    Anyone gotten right?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  15. Jun 9, 2006 #14
    I guessed who would win.. but got the score wrong

16. Jun 9, 2006 #15

-Job-

Science Advisor

Lehman was very bad, Kahn should be first choice, in my opinion he's much better. Costa Rica's second goal was offside though, not that it matters much now.
    I thought Podolski had a bad day, he was a bit slow and uncreative.
    Costa Rica didn't do much.

17. Jun 10, 2006 #16
    How was Lehman bad? Nobody would have been able to stop the 2 CR goals. The German Defense was flat, they didnt apply pressure, and CR slip through 2 very nice passes. The only thing he could have done was, run fast, make his body look big, and put pressure on the CR striker (it was a 1-1 situation). This is what he did. There were hardly any other shots on goal, so to make a judgement on Lehman would be unfair IMO...

(But hey I am not expert hehe)

18. Jun 10, 2006 #17
    Costa Ricans weren't aggressive enough. The Germans on the other hand were pretty aggressive and did not let go of any goal opportunity.

19. Jun 10, 2006 #18

-Job-

Science Advisor

I felt he could have done more in the first goal, but it's true he didn't get too much activity from Costa Rica. I think Kahn would have done better.

20. Jun 10, 2006 #19
    I cant stand Khan, maybe Im biased :) (But yeh he was good in his day)

21. Jun 11, 2006 #20

-Job-

Science Advisor

Keepers last ages. Isn't Hislop, the guy from T&T, about 37 years old?
    Kahn is a great keeper who can offer alot of security to the team. It seems he'll play next game for Germany (Lehman is conveniently "injured") so we'll compare and see who's good and who's not. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?