Germany 3-1 Portugal: Schweinsteiger's Brace Secures Victory

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Germany
In summary, Germany emerged victorious with a 3-1 win over Portugal in a thrilling game. One of Portugal's goals was an own goal, which may have been accidental. Germany's Bastian Schweinsteiger scored two direct goals and had a free kick deflected into the Portuguese box. The referees were strict in their calls and did not tolerate any foul play. The game was not defensive and both teams played well. The third place game is typically less competitive, with teams focusing more on putting on a good show rather than defending.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Well I missed it but I heard about it afterward.

Germany 3 - Portugal 1.

One of the German goals was scored by Portugal - a player accidentally knock the ball in his own goal. :frown: I feel sorry for that dude.

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Midfielder) scored two direct goals, and had a free kick deflected by Petit (Portugal) into the Portugese box.

The highlights - http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060708/1/8ohc.html

Physics news on Phys.org
It was a great game, both teams played well, and it was not annoying, not an all-defensive play.
I had the impression that the referees got some instructions to watch for faul play by the Portugese, they didn't let anything pass, and were not impressed by some theatre. I have to say I was impressed by the accuracy of the refereeing... Guess that's what happens when you get a reputation. Hopefully the referee will have a similar attitude tonight, not to be impressed with freestyle diving, which would then favor France over Italy :biggrin: They had enough bad referee decisions against them until now.

vanesch said:
It was a great game, both teams played well, and it was not annoying, not an all-defensive play.
Third place games usually are. There's less at stake, so teams just go out to put up a good show and typically, are not terribly mindful of defense - like an "all-star" game that you might watch in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if third-place games had statistically much higher scores than finals.

1. Who won the match between Germany and Portugal?

Germany won the match against Portugal with a score of 3-1.

2. Who scored for Germany in the match?

Midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger scored both goals for Germany, securing their victory.

3. How did Portugal score their goal?

Portugal's goal was scored by striker Nani in the 73rd minute of the match.

4. What was the significance of this match?

This match was part of the group stage of the 2014 FIFA World Cup, with both Germany and Portugal competing in Group G.

5. Did this match have any other notable moments?

Aside from Schweinsteiger's brace, the match also saw defender Pepe receiving a red card for headbutting Thomas Müller and Germany's goalkeeper Manuel Neuer's impressive save against a penalty kick from Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Back