Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Germany vs Portugal

1. Jul 8, 2006 #1

Staff: Mentor

Well I missed it but I heard about it afterward.

Germany 3 - Portugal 1.

One of the German goals was scored by Portugal - a player accidentally knock the ball in his own goal. :frown: I feel sorry for that dude.

Bastian Schweinsteiger (Midfielder) scored two direct goals, and had a free kick deflected by Petit (Portugal) into the Portugese box.

The highlights - http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060708/1/8ohc.html
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was a great game, both teams played well, and it was not annoying, not an all-defensive play.
    I had the impression that the referees got some instructions to watch for faul play by the Portugese, they didn't let anything pass, and were not impressed by some theatre. I have to say I was impressed by the accuracy of the refereeing... Guess that's what happens when you get a reputation. Hopefully the referee will have a similar attitude tonight, not to be impressed with freestyle diving, which would then favor France over Italy :biggrin: They had enough bad referee decisions against them until now.
  4. Jul 9, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Third place games usually are. There's less at stake, so teams just go out to put up a good show and typically, are not terribly mindful of defense - like an "all-star" game that you might watch in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if third-place games had statistically much higher scores than finals.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?