Get another degree or graduate early?

In summary, the OP is considering staying in college for another year to get a dual degree in Aerospace and Mechanical engineering. This would give them one more summer to do an REU or something. The decision of whether or not to get a second degree is up to the OP. If they choose to get a second degree, it would be in a more in-depth field such as a MEng above a BEng, dual honours over single honours, etc.
Physics_wiz
This is my first summer in college (Next fall is going to be my second fall). I have 4 more semesters to go (2 years) to graduate with a Mechanical engineering degree. One problem I have is that I haven't done any reasearch/internships yet and I want to go to a good grad school for engineering.

I could stay in college one more year (4 years total) and get a dual degree in Aersopace and Mechanical engineering and this will probably give me one more summer to do an REU or something. I could also MAYBE get a minor in math or physics if I stay one more year in college. If I just get a Mechanical engineering degree and grauduate in 2 years, I'll be 20 when I graduate.

So far, I have a 4.0 but I don't know if that will hold up. Do grad schools care more about graduating early with good grades or getting more than one degree or does it even matter with them? Which option do you think I should do? BTW, I heard that the Aerospace degree in my college was useless, but that was only from one person.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would personally stay the extra year, get the double degree and experience. Imagine that you were an employer with the choice of hiring one over the other, which one would you pick? If anyone has any data to suggest otherwise, that would be interesting. However common sense seems to be the second student would be a more attractive prospect. I would imagine that grad school would be similar and that you would be more competitive after following the second option.

iggybaseball said:
I would personally stay the extra year, get the double degree and experience. Imagine that you were an employer with the choice of hiring one over the other, which one would you pick? If anyone has any data to suggest otherwise, that would be interesting.

An employer would possibly choose the younger, less qualified student. However, for a postgraduate course (as the OP intends to do), I would almost certainly expect preference to be shown to the double degree, especially if 'real-life' experience can be shown too.

If academia is your desired path, I'd stick around and get a bigger degree!

brewnog said:
An employer would possibly choose the younger, less qualified student. However, for a postgraduate course (as the OP intends to do), I would almost certainly expect preference to be shown to the double degree, especially if 'real-life' experience can be shown too.

If academia is your desired path, I'd stick around and get a bigger degree!

I wouldn't think that one year younger would even begin to make up for the knowledge of a second degree.

But with the knowledge of a second degree, you would expect more money, and depending on the demands of the job, the employer might go for a less qualified, but "cheaper" one.

Well, if you are going straight into grad school, definitely get the second degree and the REU. VERY important.

If you are just going straight into industry, it's harder to say. I guess it depends on the field you want to get into...

zwtipp05 said:
I wouldn't think that one year younger would even begin to make up for the knowledge of a second degree.

It worked for me! :smile:

For an industrial position, sometimes it's not worth the employer paying even a small amount extra for someone with more academic credentials, particularly in a highly applied environment where most of the knowledge needed is learned on the job. Here, a degree proves technical ability, and the ability to learn, more than vast technical (and theoretical, rather than applied) knowledge. Obviously this would not hold true for an academic position such as that the OP is asking after. It's becoming more and more easy to become over-qualified for industrial positions.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not talking about a second degree, but a more in-depth first degree (MEng above a BEng, dual honours over single honours, etc).

1. Should I get another degree or graduate early?

This decision depends on your individual goals and circumstances. If you are interested in furthering your education and have the time and resources to do so, getting another degree may be a valuable option. On the other hand, if you are ready to start your career or have financial constraints, graduating early may be a better choice.

2. Will getting another degree or graduating early increase my job prospects?

It is difficult to say definitively if one option will increase job prospects over the other. It ultimately depends on the job market in your field and the specific requirements of the positions you are interested in. It may be beneficial to research job postings and speak with professionals in your desired industry to gain a better understanding of which option may be more advantageous for your career goals.

3. How much longer will it take to get another degree compared to graduating early?

The length of time it takes to obtain another degree will depend on the program you choose and your academic progress. Generally, a bachelor's degree takes 4 years to complete while a master's degree can take an additional 1-3 years. Graduating early may mean completing your degree in 3 years instead of 4, but this can vary depending on the specific requirements of your program.

4. Is it worth the extra time and money to get another degree?

Again, this decision depends on your personal goals and circumstances. If you are passionate about a specific field of study and believe another degree will enhance your knowledge and skills, it may be worth the time and financial investment. However, if you are unsure about the value of an additional degree or have other financial responsibilities, graduating early may be a more practical choice.

5. Can I still get a job if I graduate early instead of getting another degree?

Yes, graduating early does not necessarily limit your job opportunities. Many employers value a strong academic record and relevant experience over the number of degrees an individual holds. It is important to highlight your skills, accomplishments, and experiences during the job search process, regardless of whether you have one or multiple degrees.