What Can Help Turbo's Ankle Heal Faster?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Turbo has a sprain and is on crutches. Evo and Drizzle send him get well thoughts, and Andre offers some helpful advice for the healing process. Turbo is doubtful that beer can help, but agrees to try it.

turbo-1 said:
My wife got home a while back and had stopped in at the neighbor's place on the way. He not only walked my dog and hauled my trash today - he had ordered (surprise to me!) habanero seeds from his favorite supplier, and planted 50 of them today for me. He's starting them under grow-lights and will transfer them to his greenhouse when things warm up.

Reaping what you sow man, very good to hear!

Physics news on Phys.org

nismaratwork said:
Reaping what you sow man, very good to hear!
We're still getting help from that quarter. It has been 12 days since the fall, but I'm still having trouble standing or walking without crutches. My wife commented about my unavailability last night. The person who does the laundry and folds and puts away the clothes is out of commission. The person who washes the dishes and puts them away is out of commission, as is the person who normally makes the bed, takes care of trash/recycling, fills the wood-box for our heat, does extensive food-prep and cooking, walks the dog, etc, etc. Now, we are looking at maybe 8 or more inches of snow overnight, and I won't be able to get out and clear that away. I sometimes feel useless, being out-of work due to disability, but it's nice to know that I'm doing enough to be missed when I'm out of the loop.

I hope you feel better turbo. I know your pain, I once sprained my ankles when I jumped over a barrier and I landed on a loose brick. As stated I sprained both of my ankles and they swelled a lot, it took about a month for them to almost fully heal.

Kevin_Axion said:
I hope you feel better turbo. I know your pain, I once sprained my ankles when I jumped over a barrier and I landed on a loose brick. As stated I sprained both of my ankles and they swelled a lot, it took about a month for them to almost fully heal.
Luckily, I have only managed to sprain one at a time. If both had been sprained this badly I'd be in a wheelchair.

I didn't know! I hope you feel better soon turbo-1!

turbo-1 said:
Luckily, I have only managed to sprain one at a time. If both had been sprained this badly I'd be in a wheelchair.

Well, Duke has plenty of chances to make that happen while you're hobbled. :biggrin:

I hope that swelling goes down soon, but seriously, if you don't see major improvement over the next 14 days, SEE a DOCTOR and get an X-RAY! Please?

Turbo hasn't seen a doc yet? Plz go Turbo! The orthopedic told me that the ligament problem thingy that happened when I sprained my wrist also happens with the knee...and the wrist thing really sux -_- I imagine the knee would be worse.

turbo-1 said:
Thanks, Evo. My ankle is iced and elevated and getting more purple, though a bit of the swelling has subsided. No walking yet, though. Crutches only.

get well soon bro . hows it going on now?

myth_kill said:
get well soon bro . hows it going on now?
Swelling is subsiding slowly, and I can put some weight on the ankle. I'm still using one crutch for stability, and to keep from having to put full weight on the ankle. It has been two weeks now - sprains heal very slowly.

turbo-1 said:
Swelling is subsiding slowly, and I can put some weight on the ankle. I'm still using one crutch for stability, and to keep from having to put full weight on the ankle. It has been two weeks now - sprains heal very slowly.

Still, that's good improvement in 2 weeks, and indicative of a sprain, not the break I'd expected. Glad to hear it man, but don't test that foot, just keep icing, soaking, and let Duke chew on it. :wink:

Hope you are soon mended, turbo. As nismar said, icing, soaking and resting is better than testing.

turbo-1 said:

This is good news turbo. But knowing you; after being laid up for all this time, and I'm the same way, you'll be pushing it. So do be careful.

nismaratwork said:
... but don't test that foot, just keep icing, soaking, and let Duke chew on it. :wink:

dlgoff said:
This is good news turbo. But knowing you; after being laid up for all this time, and I'm the same way, you'll be pushing it. So do be careful.

turbo,

I am sure you know this so don't take this as a nag, a friend at work broke his ankle and has not stepped on it in over 6 weeks, crutches only. His bad ankle leg muscles have shrunk about 20% or more, make sure you take the time and effort to rehab the unused leg.

Rhody...

BTW... Just saw some of the final touches on the bike today, the blood red thrust formula on each side of the swing arm looks very cool, as does the black/green/red E8 graphic on the tank insert near the handlebars. It should be done next Tues and after that I will decide how to photograph and video it. A labor of love coming to completion. Keep your head up, plan to stop by your way this summer with both bikes. :biggrin:

Well, here I am at the two-week mark. Coloration is not so angry, but swelling is still an issue.

swelling.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Drakkith said:
Problem: How to avoid further injury between trips to the fridge for beer, and to the toilet afterwards.
Solution: Put a TV and Minifridge in the bathroom. Get help for this if needed to avoid further injuries

Genius!

Here is one design that incorporate these concepts. The Man's Bathroom. :smile:
Turbo, I wish you a quick recovery! It won't be long before that smoker & grill will be calling for you.

Last edited:

Ouabache said:
Here is one design that incorporate these concepts. The Man's Bathroom. :smile:
Turbo, I wish you a quick recovery! It won't be long before that smoker & grill will be calling for you.
Thanks! My freight-train-like grill/smoker is already calling me. I would be arranging my back deck now (coming snow be damned) but I need to be able to walk without crutches to make that work. I have all kinds of plans for my vegetable garden and my wife's flower gardens and upcoming herb garden. Hopefully, by the time I need to be back in action, I'll be at 100%.

BTW, I spent too much time on my feet today (minutes only) preparing bread dough for my wife to bake off when she got home from work. Extra-achy tonight, but I'll take it easy for the next few days.

Seems like very mild edema in the uninjured foot (the toes specifically), and mild venous insufficiency, so it may take longer than normal for the sprain to lose swelling.

I'd really ice-heat-ice-heat-ice... etc... that sucker, elevate, and go for that ointment formulation I mentioned.

damn, it still looks ..OUCH!

hypatia said:
damn, it still looks ..OUCH!
It still *is* OUCH, Hy. I have to work my way through this. Spring-time is busy here. I need to prune all my fruit-trees before they leave dormancy, thin the raspberry patch and give canes to friends to establish their own patches, till the garden-spot, make raised beds/rows, and get all my seedlings established in my mini-greenhouse. I'm glad the injury didn't happen today, as opposed to two weeks ago.

turbo-1 said:
It still *is* OUCH, Hy. I have to work my way through this. Spring-time is busy here. I need to prune all my fruit-trees before they leave dormancy, thin the raspberry patch and give canes to friends to establish their own patches, till the garden-spot, make raised beds/rows, and get all my seedlings established in my mini-greenhouse. I'm glad the injury didn't happen today, as opposed to two weeks ago.

It's improving, and I'd be shocked if it's not "walking safe" in about 3 or so weeks, 2 if you're you. :tongue:

It's going to be sore and delicate, but above all: do not force this... better to lose some berries than aggrevate this and lose a season.

@Hypatia: Yeah, it really does look painful, but mostly that's just from Duke chewing on it when Turbo is asleep. :biggrin:

I'd add, the spread of schistocytes up the leg bodes well for circulation in that limb, which should speed healing even in the presence of some pre-existing issues.