1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Get me going in the right direction on this and I'll give you a hug

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    cos(x) + cos3x + cos5x +………cos(2n -1)x=sin[2nx]/{2sinx}

Hint: Use Euler’s formula and the geometric progression formula.

Err, I know Euler's formula, or at least a version of it, but I don't see how that helps here, so yah, how's that work, since it obviously does?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could start by replacing [itex]cos[(2n-1)x][/itex] with [itex]exp[i(2n-1)x][/itex], which will give you a geometric series.
  4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    ok, thanks! Now here's a good 'ol check my work question

y^3-x^2y=8, at the point (-3,1) is the slope 1 and the equation of the tangent line y=x+4?(that's what I got, I'm asking for confirmation)

EDIT: Nevermind, there was a typo in the problem on the teacher's site, 'cuz I found the same problem in the book with the point being (3,-1), which it has to be because (-3,1) doesn't solve that equation! Then the answer is y=x-4, which I checked with some cool graphy thing I downloaded. Three cheers!

and another one to get me started on

III.2: Find the largest box (with faces parallel to the coordinate axes) that can be inscribed within the ellipsoid:

(x^2)/4 + (y^2)/9 +(z^2)/25 =1

I'm assuming it's some type of lagrange multiplier problem, but I dunno...
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  5. Sep 25, 2005 #4
    Hah, yayyyy

For those wondering how to do the box problem, f(x,y,z)=8xyz, and g(x,y,z)=[thatequationfortheellipse], and then it's just good 'ol Lagrange multiplier stuff, with 4 unknowns and 4 equation, which happen to solve real nicely
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?