Get my PhD early or stay and publish as much as possible?

• Thread starter bjnartowt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is better to finish a PhD quickly or to stay longer and publish more. It is mentioned that finishing quickly may impress those outside of academia, but potential employers and colleagues are more interested in the quality of work and potential for contribution. Some reasons for finishing quickly are mentioned, but it is noted that impressing others should not be the motivation. The importance of networking and publishing is emphasized for both academic and industry jobs, and it is suggested to aim for quality in research rather than focusing on speed. Ultimately, it is recommended to find a job where scientific research is appreciated and to take the time needed to establish a strong network and publish quality work.
bjnartowt
I am wondering what looks better on a CV: that I published a lot, but stayed in my PhD institution for 6 years or so, _or_ that I finished my thesis quickly, and graduated quickly? Some professors' CVs say they started their PhD in 1968, and finished in 1971 (Charles Thorn of University of Florida), which seemed awfully impressive.

I've been working as quickly as I can: I've formed my committee more quickly than most, and have made 3rd author on a paper. I've just finished up my 2nd year as of now (May 3, 2013). Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you stay an average amount, it will be more impressive if you publish more than average in my opinion. It's definitely impressive to people outside of academia to finish a PhD in 3 years or so, but what really speaks to who are going to be your superiors/peers is your potential to contribute quality work.

Disclaimer: Not from personal experience.

Why would you even want to leave early? This is probably the only time in your entire life you'll ever get to be a research scientist. Why not enjoy it for as long as possible?

Somebody motivated by jobs and pragmatism and career might race to the finish line thinking that will get him ahead, but I think someone motivated by passion would just stay and continue to work on her/his projects. A phd project isn't something you "get out of the way" so you can get on with life, it's part of life...

Just my two cents.

There are some good reasons for trying to finish quickly. These include taking advantage of current job opportunities, trying to get your good ideas published before another group scoops them, or simply moving on with your life (at least... if you've realized that reasearch isn't something that you want to be doing).

Impressing people is not one of them.

From an academic or hiring point of view no one really cares how quickly or long your PhD took. Most people familair with the process to achieve a PhD are well aware of the serendipity involved. One project may require that a student sit around for six months before a part comes that she needs for her experiment. Another may jump onto a project where a lot of the legwork has already been done, modify some pre-exisiting Monte Carlo code and explore some unique cases of a problem and then write up five papers in the span of two years.

Aim for quality in what you do.

When you want to stay in academia: publish. Either more than average, or better than average (nature, science, or whatever is seen as an important journal in your field).
You will not have time to publish once you've moved on to another job.
Also, meet a lot of well known people and try to publish with them, or at least make sure they know who you are.
Having a good network is always important.

I'm not sure if this relates to you career agenda, but I am personally publishing an average amount during my PhD, but saving enough material for at least two publications after the PhD. This is because if I take an industrial job, I can still publish steadily so that when I find an academic job my CV is consistent. I have heard from academics that this is very important.

It took me four years to publish my last bit of PhD related research. I just didn't have the time for it. If you find scientific research and publishing important, find a job where you can put it in your job description, either in industry or academia. There are industry jobs where scientific research is appreciated and even seen as important <GASP!>.

Yeah, I mean...I would really like to get into academia. I very much like the research/teaching balance. I don't mind grading, and I am genuinely enthusiastic about helping people learn higher concepts (though, I do get worn out by the clamour of pre-meds about grades). I have tried very hard to get into academia, and have mis-stepped quite a few times, and intend not to mis-step again. I could go into industry, but I'd rather not. I understand that academic jobs are very scarce, so I am trying to be as competitive as possible. Hence, my initial question about what looks better on a CV. Just because I'm asking "what looks good on a CV" doesn't mean I'm not passionate... In any event, I am grateful for your feedback so far. I suppose I should take my time, and try and establish a network...

1. Should I try to get my PhD early or stay and publish as much as possible?

This is a common question among PhD students who are nearing the end of their program. It ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. If you are more interested in pursuing a career in academia, staying and publishing as much as possible may be the best option. However, if you are looking to enter industry or have other personal goals, getting your PhD early may be a better choice. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision that aligns with your long-term goals.

2. Will getting my PhD early hurt my chances of getting a job?

While having a PhD can certainly open doors and provide valuable skills and knowledge, it is not the only factor that employers consider. Your research experience, publications, and other skills and qualifications will also play a significant role in your job prospects. Additionally, if you are able to complete your PhD early, it may demonstrate your efficiency and time management skills to potential employers.

3. Can I still publish if I get my PhD early?

Yes, getting your PhD early does not mean you can no longer publish. In fact, many PhD students continue to publish even after they have completed their degree. It is important to maintain a strong publication record, regardless of when you receive your PhD, as it can greatly impact your future career opportunities.

4. How will getting my PhD early affect my funding?

This will vary depending on your specific program and funding sources. Some programs may require you to complete a certain number of years or publish a minimum number of papers in order to receive funding. It is important to speak with your advisor and research department about any potential changes to your funding if you choose to get your PhD early.

5. Is getting my PhD early worth it?

This is a personal decision and ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Getting your PhD early may provide more flexibility and allow you to start your career sooner, but staying and publishing may provide more opportunities for research and networking. Consider your priorities and weigh the potential pros and cons before making a decision.